gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Writin'

I've really slacked off in the past on teaching my kids writing skills. I just don't think Will is ready yet and as for Marcus, well, I just haven't had much of a clue on how to teach him to write. Plus, I know it is something that they work on with the kids at his preschool so I kinda just let it slide and figured his teachers could handle it. I know. Bad mom.

Marcus loves his letters and has been able to identify almost all his uppercase letters since he was 18 months old. He is starting to get the hang of the lowercase ones now. So he knows what they look like, just isn't quite sure how to make his pen move in the right direction to make them.

For part of Marcus's birthday celebration, I got to go to school with him. It was a fun day to act 4 years old again and not have people look at me like I was a complete weirdo. I was singing and dancing and playing on the playground and swarmed by all Marcus's classmates who called me "Marcus's mom" and wanted to play with me because I was someone different. (I even got reprimanded by one of the teachers for breaking a rule!) During art time, one of the kids across the table from Marcus and me finished her project and the teacher told her to write her name on the back. Like a whiz, she printed her name with no help. Marcus asked me to help him write his name. The teacher told me they really haven't worked on that yet and I admitted I hadn't worked with him with it yet either, and then was pretty much blown away by what he did.



I held his hand and we wrote the "M" together. He wrote the "a", "r", and "c" all by himself! I couldn't believe it! It was kind of strange watching someone write who has never really been taught. The letters look correct but he didn't write them in the standard way, such as starting the "c" from the bottom and curving up to the top instead of top down. He ran out of room so we just went up the page a bit to finish off his name. He did the "u" with no instruction at all, although it was rather creatively formed. He made two parallel lines for the sides, drew the little curve to connect the two at the bottom, and then made the tail. The little squiggle was his decent first attempt at an "s" and then I wrote the other "s" next to it so he could get a better idea what it was supposed to look like. Then there were high fives all around for an amazing job!

He has been really into learning to write now. Before his "rest" time each day, we work on writing together. I got him a workbook that teaches letters (among other things) by first tracing the letter and then practicing on your own. He asks everyday now if he gets to do some writing and cheers happily when I tell him yes. Some letters are more successful than others but he most certainly has a thrive for learning both how to write the letters and the sounds they make.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home