gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, March 22, 2010

Random Things

- If something happened in the past, be it several hours ago or several months ago, Marcus says it happened "last morning". Will has picked up on this and now all his past took place last morning as well.

- Ever since we decided to adopt, I am hyper sensitive to how often adoption is portrayed in books, movies, plays, etc. Picked up a book I loved as a kid recently. I had forgotten that the main character had been adopted (and was now dealing with feelings of inadequacy after her mother becomes pregnant... with quadruplets). I find myself worrying already about all the questions my kids are going to have from adoption being shown in a negative light. Odd for me since I am not one to shield my kids from things, and yet I want to shield them from this.

- Will is getting a baby doll for Easter. He is quite fond of my friend's foster son and always asks to "take him" (which means he wants to hold him). Never thought I would be dealing with this, but when I went to find a doll I was torn over which one to get. Light skin? Dark skin? If I bought him a light skin doll would I be sending the wrong message, and surrounding him with even more pale people like myself? If I picked the dark skinned one, would I feel like I was trying too hard? And what color skin does Will really have because his skin tone isn't really that dark? Would Will even notice? I got the dark skinned doll.

- Will has taken to acting out TV shows. He attempts to sing the songs and say all the dialogue and often do all the movement as well. Mostly it results in him mumbling and dancing around the room. At first it was really cute but the more and more words and movements he gets right, the more and more I realize that we need to quit watching the same TV shows over and over again.

1 Comments:
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You aren't alone in your "worries" about what skin color doll to get! Since K is so into dolls anyway, we've got an assortment. :)

I have the same feelings about wanting to shield them from negative depictions of adoption. If only we could!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home