gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, February 27, 2010

What to Eat

I'm rather addicted to Man vs. Wild and have my DVR set up to catch all the episodes. (Man vs. Wild is a reality-type show about surviving in remote places.) I typically don't watch this show when the kids are around. However, I noticed that one of the episodes my DVR picked up took place in Guatemala. I told the kids we were going to watch a guy in Guatemala and flipped on the tele to witness the star of the show climbing through the jungle toward rescue and searching for food. He found a rather large beetle and Marcus, Will, and I all cringed when he ate it whole and wiggling. Suddenly I had visions of my own kids eating bugs (as soon as all this snow melts and the bugs come out of hibernation) because we all know how easily kids are influenced by things they see on TV. I quickly informed them that we don't eat bugs. People only eat bugs when they don't have any other good food to eat, like we have.

I wasn't even sure the kids were paying attention to me. Silly me for forgetting that Marcus never misses a thing. Two days later we were headed into preschool and, as happens every single day, Marcus and Will asked me about the area set up for people to drop off food for the needy. Like I do every single time, I explained that that is a place that we can bring our food to share with people that don't have good food to eat, and how sad it is that some people aren't as fortunate as we are. It took me a minute to figure out where in the world Marcus came up with this, but he shouted out, "Those people have to eat bugs!" So there you have it. We give food to the needy so they don't have to eat bugs.

1 Comments:
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Cara said...

That's awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home