gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Birthmoms

I finally got around to getting the kids' pictures with their birthmoms scanned. During the adoption process when our boys were still in Guatemala, a DNA test had to be completed to make sure that the woman that was placing the child for adoption was indeed the child's birthmom. At the time the test is done, the birthmom typically hasn't seen her child for months and likely won't ever see her child again. Talk about an emotional experience! One of the steps of the DNA test is to have a photo taken of the birthmom holding her child. The Polaroid is the only photo we have our children's birthmoms.

Now I have digital copies of the photos as well. I printed off a photo of each of my boys and their birthmoms and put them in frames. I finally got around to getting this completed the other day just before "rest time". Will was in bed already but Marcus spotted the picture frames on the counter and wanted to know what they were. I showed him the picture of him and his birthmom. He instantly recognized "Baby Marcus" and I told him about his birthmom, how he grew in her belly and she wasn't able to take care of any children so Mommy and Daddy adopted him. We bring up adoption frequently but it was the first time he asked questions back. He wanted to know where his birthmom was and if he had a birthdad too. The most exciting part was that the questions he asked were all ones that I could easily answer. I left Marcus in his room with his picture of his birthmom for "rest time".

A bit later I went into his room because Marcus was being a bit loud. He was just sitting on his floor studying the photo. When "rest time" was over I went in to check on him. Marcus had fallen asleep in his bed with his birthmom photo.

When Will got up I gave him his picture of his birthmom and explained who it was. Will found a special spot in his room to keep his picture so he could look at his photo whenever he wanted to.

Greg read the kids an adoption related story before bed. The character in the book said he had a birthmom and a birthdad as well as a forever mommy and a forever daddy. Marcus shouted out, "Like I do!"

5 Comments:
At 9:56 AM, Blogger JessicaLGiles said...

You are hands down the best mom ever.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Cara said...

Such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing :)

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger RD said...

Wow. That's going to make me tear up.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger DrBabyMamaDrama said...

Awesome. Just awesome.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Jessica said...

This is so awesome. I can't wait for the day we can share with Mira about adoption and tell her about her BM. So happy for you and your family!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home