gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Friday, January 15, 2010

Bye Bye Baby

Wow, has it really been that long since I posted? I was reading on a friend's blog that one of her goals for the new year was to be on the computer less. Although I didn't consciously make that a goal of mine, recently I have been doing lots of other stuff other than sitting behind my computer screen. After spending so much time not being able to do anything after having surgery right after Christmas (Did I even mention I had surgery right after Christmas? I think I did. ) it helped to remind me that there is a whole world out there that I love to be a part of that doesn't involve me in some way being connected through technology. I found a time during the day when normally I would be sitting on my butt writing emails or messing around on facebook that I have now transformed into exercise time. And I have also located a time each day when I get a chance to pick up my guitar. Getting to make some music and learn something each day has been really therapeutic and good for my soul. I've also somehow managed to fit more time into my day just being with my kids, really being there 100% for them. I've been working my body, my soul, and being with family. Nothing much better than that.

But it is still January - one of my least favorite months of the year. Cold. Snow. Grey. Cold. Wind. More cold. There just really hasn't been a lot going on worth blogging about. I've been inventing errands to do just to get out of the house. It really is that bad.

I had a parent/teacher conference at Marcus's school this week. It was amusing. It just amazes me what a different person he is at school than he is at home. His teacher showed me his "self portrait" from the first day of school. It was a small red blob and a small blue blob. Then I got to see his self portrait from a week or two ago. It was a giant red blob. I laughed. One of his favorite things to draw right now is people. At least people's faces. He can draw faces pretty good. He draws a big circle and eyes and nose and mouth and hair. Yet at school, he draws a big blob. His teacher was also concerned about his speech and wanted to know if perhaps there was a language barrier. I informed her that no, he has heard nothing but English since he was 7 months old and I am quite certain his language skills are just fine. He just doesn't talk at school. The minute I pick him up from school, he tells me in long rambling paragraphs all about school, the things he did, the kids he played with, the artwork he did. Sometimes I wish he just did all his talking at school and was quiet at home. The kid is just a sponge. He goes to school and listens, learns, absorbs everything around him. Then he gets home and lets out all that he has absorbed.

Will had his 3 year old well visit. I'm always behind with his well visits since his birthday is right before Christmas. All is well. At age 2 he was in the 10th percentile for weight. At 2.5 he had climbed to the 25th percentile. Now he is at the 50th percentile. His doctor said we don't want him to get any higher than that. I really can't believe that he is gaining that much body mass because he is so so skinny. We are talking ribs protruding from his body that could poke an eye out. His appetite has really picked up recently though which has made meal times far more enjoyable.

And so it was time to officially say goodbye to babyhood. I cleaned out the kids' closet and removed all the clothing that ended in the word "months". It has been a long long time since I have seen those 6-9 months clothes outside of boxes in the attic, but I can't believe that the 24 months clothing is really packed away. I also cleared out some of the last "baby gear" that we were holding onto. No more boppy pillows. No more portable changing pads. Will is still wearing diapers at night time and I am in no hurry for that to change. It is the last little bit of baby that we have left in this house. And even though it is sad to see it be carried out of sight, I also am really looking forward to this spring when we can get outside with the kids and do even more things with them as they get older. But not too fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home