gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Blogging About Big Kids

I started this blog many, many years ago. The point in the beginning was to blog about our experience adopting Marcus. Then we adopted him it was about life as a family of 3 and navigating suddenly becoming a multiracial family. Then there was Will's adoption. For years I blogged about the lives of my two fabulous kids. Life was good. The blog was good. And then things took a turn. No more adoption talk and really not much blogging about the two big boys that made us a family and got this whole blog thing rolling. What happened?

There is the obvious. Sean and Aaron took over the blog. It is easy to blog about babies. They do something new every day. They are cute and cuddly and don't talk back. They lay around and let me take lots of pictures of them.

I haven't decided to replace Marcus and Will's place on my blog with two new little boys. It is just hard to blog about big kids. They are still growing at a rapid rate and doing new things every day, but the differences day to day aren't that profound. Marcus and Will don't stay still long enough to even take many pictures of. Most of my pictures of them these days are when they are eating, because that is the only time when they aren't running and rolling and kicking and attacking me with dinosaurs.

Plus, I am becoming more and more aware that Marcus and Will aren't just my kids, but they are little people with rights to make their own decisions about what they want to share and not share with everyone who has access to the internet. Lately there have been problems in their lives that they have worked really hard and started to overcome. I'm so excited about what they have accomplished, how far they have come, and the success they have had. But I wonder, do they really want me to air their issues online? And so I end up not saying much about them at all.

But let me tell you one thing. Marcus and Will are becoming some pretty good swimmers. About two weeks ago, Will finally figured out how to go under water. It is one of those things that I have seen other young kids do and wanted so much for my kids to do too. I wanted so much for them to break free of just going to the pool to splash around, and start going to the pool to swim. But they would be ready for full submersion when they were ready. Will was ready. And Marcus was not about to let his brother do something that he couldn't do. A little bit of positive peer pressure, and Marcus is an underwater swimmer too. This week Marcus learned how to jump off the wall of the (little kids') pool without having anyone catch him. Way to go Marcus and Will! You are so blog-worthy!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home