gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, December 17, 2007

Super Why!

If you haven't caught Super Why, a new show on PBSKids that airs weekday mornings, you really need to. Let me paint a picture of this great show for you. It is about four kids - Wyatt, Pig, Red Riding Hood, and Princess Pea - who transform into super heroes to solve super big problems. Together they are the Super Readers, using their powers to read to explore fairy tales and find ways to solve problems that are common to preschool aged children. According to PBS, the show is geared towards kids aged 3-6 years but Marcus (20 months) is obsessed with this show.

It really started out with Greg and me being obsessed with it. It has some really catchy music! For a couple weeks there, Greg and I couldn't even start heading to the kitchen to make snack for the kids until after the theme song played. I knew it was becoming a super big problem of my own when I would wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and my head would be screaming, "Super Readers, to the rescue!! It's time to fly 'cause we got a problem to solve."

Apparently our enthusiasm for the show has rubbed off on Marcus. William will watch the opening theme song and be off to something else, but Marcus is totally into it. When Wyatt tells everyone to put their hands in to start their adventure, Marcus puts his hand in too. When the characters transform from their everyday selves into the Super Readers, Marcus is spinning and transforming too!

Both Friday and Saturday nights, Marcus was overtired and just plain cranky. I went to pbskids.org and found some Super Why games online and Marcus was totally into relaxing on my lap and checking out what the Super Readers were doing on my laptop. I even found an episode that we could watch. Much to my surprise, Marcus appears to actually be learning from this show. There is a lot of repetition and just about every episode, Pig (his super hero name is Alpha Pig) uses his alphabet power and sings the alphabet. It appears that Marcus is learning his alphabet too!


Really, when did Marcus become such a big kid? And it gets better! He has figured out exactly what he is supposed to be doing when he sits on the potty. We aren't potty training him but we do sit him on the potty every night before bath. Every single time we put him there the last four nights, he sits there and stares at me with a little smile on his lips, obviously concentrating. Then he pees!! We all cheer like fools and he is so proud of himself. On a whim, I put him on the potty yesterday at an unscheduled time. He concentrated and went!! We put him on the potty three times this morning and every time was a success! He is still quite young and not ready for official potty training. He doesn't tell us when he needs to go and he isn't even capable of pulling his pants up and down yet, but I am just so excited that he has connected the potty for what it is supposed to be used for! I am totally expecting that his new "trick" will lose its novelty soon. Honestly, I am not ready for potty training myself either. The whole idea of having to drop everything when we are out in public for a dash to the bathroom when I am still trying to figure out how to function with two kids is just not all that appealing. But still, connecting sitting on the potty with going potty is just huge and I am so excited for Marcus.

As for William, he is growing and learning all the time too. Yesterday I attempted to dress him in one of his two Steelers outfits. He has worn them both in the past two weeks yet I could not squeeze him into either one yesterday. I didn't know it was possible for kids to grow that fast. I know they grow fast, but that was lightening speed! He will stand unassisted for a short period of time, then he usually starts laughing out of excitement and throws himself on you. When he came home he was pretty much clueless on the subject of self-feeding. Now he feeds himself most of his meals on his own. Baby food will be a thing of the past here soon, as soon as we run out of what we already have. William drinks really great out of a sippy cup so here in two days, on his birthday, we are going to start weaning him from the bottle. He gets three bottles now and we are going to start by cutting out one bottle at a time. This proved to be obscenely simply with Marcus because he just decided at a year to stop drinking out of his bottle. I think it is going to be harder this time mainly because two of the bottles he gets now he drinks right before going to sleep.

And try to tell me that this kid isn't completely adorable...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home