gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, April 12, 2008

The American Dream

I recall talking to a friend of mine back either my senior year of high school or freshman year in college about what our dreams for the future were. We agreed that although we might not be completely conventional people, our dreams were rather conventional. We wanted a spouse, a house with a white picket fence, a dog, and 2.3 kids. I've been doing pretty good on achieving that dream. I have a spouse, a dog, a picket fence that just needs a little white paint, and I guess I still have to figure out where to get .3 of a kid.

Back when my friend and I were dreaming away, we did leave out one important detail in order to have conventional lives of the average suburbanite - a big old gas guzzling SUV. Rest assured. We now have one.

Greg and I spent the day car shopping. It was a very long day. We were very close to not even coming home with a car and needing to return next week. The place we went was 2 hours away and I was not the least bit interested in making a return trip. In the end, we are now the proud owners of a Jeep Commander.



I totally love this car. My other car was a Chevy Cavalier, a car so small that Greg had been driving it. It was hard enough to fit me and two kids in there, but there was not a chance I could fit my stroller in there or more than a couple bags of groceries. Greg said my car was like driving a scooter. Now I feel like I am driving a semi. I got a case of the giggles on the way home. I was trying to adjust my sun visor and couldn't even reach the thing! I love the space. I love feeling like I am queen of the road. I am not crazy about the color but it is just a color. The car still gets me from here to there and back again, all the while getting about half as many miles per gallon as the old Cavalier. It still has yet to be determined if we can fit the thing in our garage too.

So, where should we go tomorrow? I just want to drive it some more.

4 Comments:
At 11:13 PM, Blogger DrBabyMamaDrama said...

We have a Patriot and I adore it. They are such fun cars to drive. We went for some long highway drives after getting it, so enjoy!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

feel free to road trip to our house anytime!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

spiffy. Did you cry at the loss of your little car? I will cry when I sell Fritzie. Even if it only fits me and EJ (her car seat makes the passenger seat way close to the dashboard). I am a small car kind of gal though. (I also appreciate filling a small gas tank these days...)

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Julie Lewis said...

i saw one of those this morning on the way to school & i loved it! and honestly- i like the color too!!! :) i'm an suv kind of gal ;)
julie
(amanda's sister)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home