gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Friday, April 18, 2008

Bad Mom

Maybe you are thinking that I have been a bad mom because I have been posting about my cars but have had nothing to say about my kids. Well, I'm back! What an week.

Monday we all just kinda hung out. The kids were thinking they were pretty cool with their hats and backpacks.


Things took a turn for the worse on Tuesday. Marcus started getting the sickness that Greg was nice enough to share with him. By the evening, his fever was up to 104.5 but some Tylenol helped that out. It still couldn't keep him from wanting to sleep the entire night. I must confess, I really wasn't too upset about it.


We had plans to go to the zoo on Wednesday with Cara and Jen. I thought that we might have to cancel but Marcus woke up completely cured. He didn't have a fever. He wasn't congested. It was like he was never sick. So, off to the zoo we went. We got there a little early and I let the kids run around. Will went straight for those little riding things that suck parents dry of quarters. Thankfully, my kids don't realize that those things move and were quite content just climbing around and using the steering wheels.

It was a great day at the zoo. Marcus and Will both were enjoying the animals and were looking at them more than at the people. They were both completely impressed by the monkeys and also by the penguins. The aquarium wasn't even that crowded. Will was mesmerized by watching a very large fish tank.

I thought for sure that both kids would pass out before we got through the whole zoo but somehow they made it. Of course they were off to dreamland as soon as we hit the road.

Wednesday evening we did lots of outdoor playing. Greg was on duty to make sure that no one ate any leaves or bugs while I did a little yard work. It was oddly quite enjoyable to be pulling weeds.

I thought things were going well on Thursday until after nap time when Marcus woke up delirious with a fever of 103.5. After the Tylenol took effect, he was back to normal again, just coughing up a storm. We headed out in the yard for more playing and yard work.

Then there was today. I woke all itchy from something that apparently was hiding in the masses of weeds in our yard. My arms are a nice spotted mess of itchiness. I didn't have much time to even scratch today because Marcus has been a wreck. I called the doctor this morning and had to leave a message with the nurse. She didn't call back soon enough for my liking and I was on the verge of tears because Marcus was so miserable. I ended up calling back. At last we had an appointment. Marcus laid down on the couch around 10:00 and said, "Night night," and went to sleep.

Will and I were rather lost with what to do. He and I don't really have any chance to just be the two of us. I didn't know what to do with him! He showed off all his new words (ball, bib, book, and bubble - he apparently has a fondness for B words) and we played peek-a-boo. Finally it was time to go.

Poor guy. He has lost 2 lbs because he didn't eat anything on Tuesday (he stuffed his face on Wednesday), his appetite was spotty yesterday, and he didn't really eat today. He has pneumonia but the doctor said that we caught it in the very early stages and it should be cleared up in no time. He also has a pretty bad ear infection in one ear and an ear infection starting up in the other ear.

Marcus is now all pumped full of antibiotic. His moods go from rather miserable to completely miserable. I am feeling probably twice as miserable as I would normally because I am sad that I can't fix Marcus right away other than holding him, but I can't hold him all the time because Will sometimes needs me too, and I hold Marcus so much that poor Will is getting far less attention than he deserves. Thankfully tomorrow is Saturday so Greg will be home. I predict that Marcus will start feeling a whole lot better too.

As for Will, he is as cute as ever. Cuter probably. His language is really taking off. He has always been quite the talker and now he is just starting to use words that the rest of us understand. In addition to the words mentioned above he also says Hi, Bye, Pay (for our dog), uh oh, vroom vroom (for cars and trucks), and no. His favorite of all these words in Hi. He says it ALL THE TIME and to EVERYBODY. The kids and I went out to lunch with my mom earlier this week and we had the pleasure of being seated right by the entrance to the restaurant. Will said Hi repeatedly until he got a response from every single person that walked in the door. This is also his normal behavior anytime we go to the grocery store. He was getting very angry with a man in the produce section the other day because the man was not responding as he was on the phone. Eventually Will's Hi's got so persistent that the man was forced to wave just so he could hear whoever was on the other end of his phone call.

Sorry this entry was all over the place. I started it several hours ago and kept needing to stop to hold one kid or the other and then completely had to stop when Marcus fell asleep on me again. But there it is. I'll try to be a better poster in the future.

2 Comments:
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Cara said...

i'm totally laughing now because you appoligized for being all over the place. meanwhile i followed with no problem what-so-ever... must be because I'M all over the place these days too so it's just a normal thought pattern for me to follow at the moment. glad i can relate. i hope your kiddo feels better soon and your rash goes away quickly.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Glad to hear you are all on the mend!!!!! It is no fun having sick kids...missed ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home