gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Thing I Forget



These are my sons. Each of them is an amazing individual. It is nothing short of a miracle that each of them is here as my son with me as their mother. Although each of them has a unique story of how they came into my life, each of them is as much my son as the next one.

I've had several people comment how at first they couldn't believe how pale Sean and Aaron were. They were so used to seeing Marcus and Will and their dark skin, that it just didn't occur to them that our other children would be lighter toned. I forget sometimes that Marcus and Will didn't come into our lives in the traditional way. Good to know that I am not the only one.

Today I had the opportunity to meet up with a bunch of the preschool moms at an indoor play area. There is a new kid in Marcus's class and his mother was looking to get to know some of the other moms. I haven't seen most of the moms for quite some time since my own mother has been taking the kids to school. I had yet to meet this new mom. I walked in and she looked at Marcus and said, "I recognize you!" I said, "Oh, you must be the mother of the new boy in Marcus's class." The conversation went on. Introductions were made. I was a little distracted because Marcus and Will were asking me if they could go play and I was trying to decide where to put the two baby car seats that needed to be unloaded before I dropped them. During all this, the new mom was asking some confusing questions like, "Are these [pointing at the babies] your babies?" "Who normally drops Marcus off at school?" "Are you the mom?" I answered politely and wondered if this lady was obtuse because of course I was the mom. Who other than a mother would be crazy enough to show up at a crazy play place with four boys? Babysitters and aunts are far too smart for that.

It never even occurred to me until late this evening why she was asking what seemed to be weird and confused questions. She couldn't wrap her head around how I could walk in with my red hair and freckled skin with those four beautiful boys of mine and be a mother to them all. I am sure she was able to figure it all out eventually, and without asking intruding questions. So kudos to her. Because it is the thing I forget. I forget that this wonderful family of mine that feels so natural and perfect and filled with love on the inside, doesn't always look like the "normal" family that it is.

2 Comments:
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Justin and Jessica said...

This is great! I love that I'm not the only adoptive mom who feels that way. I also forget that Mira isn't my biological child, and I can't imagine that I would love her any more if she were. She's such a part of me, and people tell us all the time how she looks just like us, or like my niece. What a blessing all of your children are! Each so special in their own way!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger K Blue said...

I love that photo of your boys. It makes my heart smile... That is normal when looking at your photos! Definitely perfect. Definitely natural.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home