gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Friday, December 21, 2007

Hangin' Out

We haven't been doing much around here other than just haning' out. You know, like lounging and watching some TV.


William is officially 1 now.

His actual birthday didn't really contain any birthday-like activities. Jen and Finn came over in the morning for a bit. Then after nap we gave William his birthday present from us. We were lame and didn't even wrap it. It was an activity table and the table came with a couple of blocks. These blocks were actually catnip for kids in disguise. Marcus's behavior all day was HORRENDOUS but once this catnip for kids arrived on the scene, there was no longer an adjective in the English language to describe Marcus. We tried separating the kids for a bit, thinking that maybe all he needed was some one-on-one attention. That didn't work. I can't tell you how ecstatic I was when the girl I teach piano lessons to showed up for a lesson and I got to talk to an adult while Greg was left to deal with the kids alone. Poor Greg. But really really happy me.

After William's birthday party last week I got very scared. Added to our already massive amounts of toys were even more toys. Not that I am the neatest person on earth, but I do enjoy being able to walk across the room without tripping over 10 different things on my journey. So if all these extra toys is what occurred from one kid having a birthday, how in the world could I handle two kids being spoiled at Christmas? It was time to purge. There weren't too many toys that I could honestly say that no one plays with anymore at all but the few that fell in that category were placed in our storage area. The rest of the toys were distributed a little more equally between the main play area (our family room/kitchen), Marcus's room, and the game room. The biggest difference was from putting half of the board books in Marcus's room. Since Marcus and William insist on taking every book off the shelves each day and spreading them out over the entire play area, now only half as much of the floor is covered by books at the end of each day.

We spent some time in our game room today which was a nice change. I think I mentioned before that our living room couch is currently down there to make room for our Christmas tree. I think the couch has found it's new home. (Not sure what we are going to do with the living room which will be pretty bare once the tree is taken down.) With the current configuration of the furniture in the game room, along with some sneaky placement of our play kitchen, we have created a space of about 12x12 for the kids to play in. Unlike our family room/kitchen that we are normally in, there are no blind spots for kids to hide in and parents to constantly be checking to make sure that trouble isn't being found. The toy assortment in the game room is also very limited, we are talking like maybe 5 toys that all promote creativity and gross motor skills. The normal situation in our house is toys spread from one end of the family room to the other end of kitchen with no real room to play and no chance of concentrating on one activity for more than about 2 seconds because there is some other toy calling out to be played with. So we spent some time in the game room with the stereo turned up (probably way too loud for kids' ears but I like loud, hearing damaging music). We did some sliding and played with some musical instruments and everyone was very well behaved and very happy. I foresee spending lots of time in the room in the upcoming months.


As for me, I am totally ready for Christmas. I finished making the place mats for my brother's girlfriend FINALLY. It wasn't that hard or even that big of a project, but since my sewing skills are pretty much undeveloped and my attention span is only slightly longer than that of my kids, the project was moving quite slowly. Finally, the finished result.


All the shopping has been completed. All the things that need to be wrapped have been wrapped. I managed to get out of needing to cook or bake anything this year. The house is decorated and today Greg finally threw out the two pumpkins that have been living on our porch since before Halloween. We are done and ready to GIVE GIVE GIVE!! Oh, and we are going to spend some time with family too.

Not sure if I will post again until after Christmas so happy holidays to everyone. We are looking forward to seeing my family on Saturday for dinner and getting time to catch up with my brother who I haven't seen in months. Christmas Eve we are hangin' out with my family and then off to see Greg's family on Christmas Day. I hope that peace and joy finds you this fabulous season!

1 Comments:
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Jill said...

So happy to hear that we are not the only ones who recently threw out our pumpkins! lol!

Have a VERY Merry Christmas. Those placemats are beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home