gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, February 18, 2008

What I am knitting

I went on a bit of a knitting strike a few weeks ago. It was rather involuntary. There was a combination of just not having any time, being too tired to want to knit when I did have time, and just being completely uninspired by any projects. Then suddenly I was inspired and off and knitting again. Unfortunately there are a couple little things that I knitted recently that I'll have to write about later since they are gifts. This weekend I found myself inspired again. I mentioned about a week ago about how Marcus has no mittens and apparently the stores are insisting that it is swimsuit and sandal season and aren't selling mittens anymore. Then it occurred to me that I could just make Marcus some mittens.

I found this pattern online and Saturday morning I pulled out some yarn leftover from another project and started knitting. By noon on Saturday Marcus had one mitten. Yesterday I got together with my knitting friends and by the end of our little meeting, Marcus had two mittens. I still have to finish the icord to connect the two mittens so I am not spending any future free time knitting replacement mittens. They turned out super cute though!


I just couldn't believe how fast these worked up. They were so easy too. Of course I didn't check my gage and although I knitted the toddler size, they are a little tight. Perhaps I should have made the cuff a little longer too because they just barely cover Marcus's wrists.

I was concerned that Marcus wouldn't wear them. He is now 22 months old and has never worn mittens. We tested them out last night and took a little walk around the neighborhood. Marcus didn't really know what to do with his hands but he didn't attempt to take the mittens off so I thought that was a bonus. Then we got home and I took off his coat and his mittens. This lead to a complete temper tantrum. Marcus wanted his mittens ON ON ON!!! So, I put them back on. For the next hour Marcus wore his mittens around the house. He cheered and clapped his hands and read books and tackled his brother and pretty much went on with his daily activities, all while in mittens.

I thought for sure he would insist on wearing them in the bathtub but he cooperated. The mittens have since been hidden from him. Perhaps I will have to knit up another pair of mittens after all. Then he can have a pair to wear outside and another pair to play in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home