gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Endless Cycle of Snot

Round 2 around here. In sickness that is. Marcus has slowly been recovering. Finally today he is pretty much his old self. The last couple of days he has been feeling well enough to get off the couch but bad enough to be completely cranky. It wasn't even really being cranky. It was more like he had suddenly felt that it was his life's purpose to be worse than the 2 year olds as seen on Supernanny. But, all that is in the past. YYYAAAAAYYYY!!!

Round 2 has begun with Will being sick. The cold that Marcus had, finally found it's way to Will. The last two days he had a low grade fever on and off. Today he was just a grumpy mess. I went in this morning to find (warning: this is gross) him saying, "Oh no!" while having a string of snot hanging from his nostril that reached all the way to his waist. When I went to remove this monstrosity, I got a little sample of what I was about to experience the rest of the day. It turns out that getting a snotty nose wiped is all the reason Will needs to have a complete temper tantrum. When he has temper tantrums, he likes to stand right in front of me while screaming and crying. All the screaming and crying of course makes his nose run. Then I have to wipe his nose. When I wipe his nose, the screaming and crying starts again. You get the point. This was pretty much how I spent my morning. Will pretty much screamed the whole four and a half hours he was up this morning based completely on the fact that I was wiping his nose. Well, that and that he didn't feel that great.

After nap time, I finally reached my breaking point. There was still running of a nose and still complete freak out at every attempt to fix it. I was really tired of having a screaming, crying, snotty kid standing in my face all day long. I decided he could just as easily have his temper tantrum while sitting in the designated timeout chair on the other side of the room. I still feel that he is a bit young for timeout but it was either he sit in that chair and scream or I was going to have to sit there and scream. And believe me, my behind is way too big to fit in that child sized chair. He pretty much stayed there too. I did have to return him twice and explain that he had to stay there until he was done with his temper tantrum. I didn't think he understood one bit but it helped me keep my sanity. Much to my surprise, after he was done with his screaming I wiped his nose and he was fine with it! Even more to my surprise, every other time I have wiped his nose from that point on - probably about 10 more times - he didn't even put up the least bit of fuss. Either he is suddenly feeling a whole lot better or he did get something out of throwing a temper tantrum while sitting in the timeout chair.

Here's to a health reversal in this house.

2 Comments:
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

How true, sometimes it's the mama that needs the timeout chair!

Glad to hear everyone is on the mend!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

You are scaring me away from coming to dinner with all this snot talk. perhaps your next post should be about disinfecting your house? ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home