gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, June 02, 2008

The Weekend

Saturday was our annual neighborhood yard sale. It was a big flop. We worked all week long getting all out our junk... err.. I mean merchandise priced and placed on tables ready to go. Then it rained. There were very few customers and even fewer neighbors participated than usual. All that work and we are now $38 richer. We are considering doing it again this weekend. Since we have everything set up and still in our garage, the only work it would involve is a little advertising and putting up our garage door on Saturday morning.

Then it was on to the second event of the day. All the men of the house were left alone and I headed out with Cara and Val to The Post-Gazette Pavilion to see Dave Matthews Band. We had no issues with traffic and got there shortly before 5:00. We had been chatting and laughing so hard on the way there that by the time we parked, we all had the giggles.

I do realize it is sometimes hard to believe, but I really am a shy person. Most of the time. Then other times I get into these moods.... Val and I had been telling Cara all about the time we saw Dave two years ago and I got in this heated argument with these drunk teenagers that were being totally annoying while I was trying to watch the show. We arrived. We parked. We started getting snacks out of the car to feast on and another car with four guys pulled in next to us. They cranked their music up really loud and one of them asked us, "Is our music totally annoying?" I was just in one of those not at all shy moods and being totally sarcastic like I normally am and I responded with, "It's not your music that is totally annoying." I think I might have even rolled my eyes when I said it. The guys in the car went in the other direction and Cara said, "Now I know why you guys almost get in fights every year. It's because of this one here!' While pointing at me of course. Since I did realize that these guys didn't know me and certainly didn't know my propensity to sarcasm, I was nice and apologized to them. Kinda. Sorta. I said something like, "Sorry if I was really rude but just because I am mean, you can still talk to my friends because they are nice people." For the next two hours we hung out with these guys from D.C. who had parked next to us and they referred to me as "Sassy". They were seriously some funny guys and they were playing some really funny music too.

Cara, Val, and I cooked up some hot dogs, ate some broccoli salad and chips, and stuffed our faces with brownies at the tailgate of our car. We also laughed at these older people in the next row who were obviously not well versed at tailgating. I only had my camera phone with me so the quality isn't that great but if you look closely you will see two individuals trying to set up their grill to tailgate... and reading the instructions!


After eating I got a hold of my friend Brian. Brian and I have decided that we are ConcertBFF's. (Our official friendship title is "BFF's of Live Music and Televised Entertainment" but that title is really only used on official letterhead.) Our new friends for D.C. were convinced since I was all sassy and slightly odd, that Brian was just an imaginary friend. Brian couldn't find me and was about a car away and called me. Our new D.C. friends spotted him and started shouting and motioning to him to come over which was funny on its own. The funniest part though was that when Brian turned to head in our direction, he tripped over the grill that the neighboring tailgaters had painstakingly studied the instructions to set up.

Apparently Val, Cara, and I all must have seemed rather cozy with our new friends from D.C. because Brian thought that they were part of our group. When he asked for introductions, I was rather dumbfounded because we never exchanged names. I think this guy's name was Todd.

No idea what this guy's name was but I took his picture.

They thought maybe I would put their pictures on myspace but I didn't. I just put them on Facebook. Hehe.

We did a little more hanging out and chatting. I decided to bug my friends by taking flattering pictures of them. Like this picture of Val:

And this picture of Cara:

Because I was trying to be fair, I took one of myself too:


Finally we were ready to head in. We said good-bye to our new friends (never to see them again) and headed for the gates. After a quick pit stop, we found a nice place on the lawn to park our behinds. I settled in next to my CocertBFF so we could talk music all night long. Doesn't he look stunning in his creepy playoff beard?


Since the music had yet to begin, we laughed at people in the audience. It didn't really start off that way. We were merely discussing the "rules" of attending concerts. Brian was clearly breaking one of the rules by wearing a DMB shirt to the concert. It wasn't hard to locate people who were being more lame than him though. I decided that it would be even more lame to have a tattoo of the band you were seeing and insist on taking your shirt off at the concert for the sole purpose of displaying the tattoo. Then I pointed out the culprit. He was most certainly not the most lame person in the audience. What could be more lame? Hmm... I would have to say that it would be even more lame to have a tattoo of the band you are seeing on your shoulder, and ripping out the shoulder of your shirt just to show off the tattoo. Who would do a thing like that?? This guy would:


I realize that most of the stuff in this post doesn't concern most of the people who read this. I wrote it so I can remember it, so congrats if you even made it this far. I have been talking about the concert pretty much nonstop to Brian all day, discussing all the geekiness of musical intricacies involved. In a nutshell, it was such an incredible concert. They kicked it off with Two Step and closed the set with Lie in Our Graves (my all time favorite song ever) that segued into Ants Marching. Total sweetness. The encore started off with Pink Floyd's Money which was totally awesome but then the show just sorta ended with a cover of Money (That's What I Want). I really think they should have thrown some other song in there to end the show with but the band neglected to ask me for my opinion prior to the show. That was the first time I had ever seen Tim Reynold's play. To quote Brian, he is a god among men. I think I forgot to breathe during his solos. The only real downfall to the night was that it ended. I could have stood there for many more hours listening to that music.

Very sadly, I don't have tickets for another concert in my hands. Obviously that has got to change here soon.

2 Comments:
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Cara said...

i *heart* ALGERI

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh, Annie, you are SO lucky to have seen Tim Reynolds w/ Dave. I am super jealous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home