gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Turkey Day!

I went to do my regular early morning grocery shopping yesterday afternoon and was befuddled as to why the aisles were packed at 8:30 in the morning. Oh yeah! It is the week where we all stuff ourselves silly! Not that I really forgot, it was just that I wasn't expecting the store to be that busy that early on a Monday morning.

I took to the stores this weekend. I had been trying to get together with a couple of my friends and as it worked out, they were both free this weekend. Saturday it was lunch and some shopping with one friend and Sunday it was lunch and some shopping with another friend. Poor Greg was forced to feed the kids lunch, put them down for nap, and then spend about an hour alone with them when they woke up. I figured since I spend about 10 hours alone with them most days of the week, he could probably manage 1 hour two days. He could. He did. And I am officially done with Christmas shopping! Almost. I have to pick up a pack of Pokemon cards and locate some yellow wrapping paper since a certain child of mine is now completely obsessed with the idea of yellow presents.

When I got back from shopping on Saturday, I discovered while I was gone that Greg rearranged our furniture in the basement. The result is a lot more room for the kids to run around and play down there. He also set up a little sewing/craft area for me. Sunday morning the kids were enjoying the new setup and I actually sat down at my sewing machine for the first time in months and did a few stitches.

When I got back from shopping on Sunday, somewhere between getting endless hugs and getting endless kisses from Marcus, I asked him what they did while I was gone. I wasn't expecting an answer but for the first time he told me. He said he and Will napped and then they had snack.

Will has been potty training himself which I am encouraging but not that crazy about. He is all about going number two on the potty. I can't remember the last time I changed a poopy diaper. Last week was rough because he kept deciding that he needed to sit on the potty for fun. It most certainly isn't fun for me since I am the one who has to get his clothes and diaper on and off and get him to wash his hands and try to convince Marcus that going potty is not a competition and he will just have to wait his turn. I took to leaving Will stranded on the potty for a little while every time he decided to go. That kinda got the idea into his head that sitting on the potty is for taking care of business, not for entertainment purposes.

I read a friend's blog recently who mentioned that her daughter has taken to removing her pants. Must be something in the air. Will's foster family told us that he would usually sleep in just a diaper but to be careful because even had 11 months old, he knew how to get it off. His fondness for clothing removal has continued. He sometimes still sleeps in a sleep sack that zips from the top down to make it more difficult for toddlers to remove it. Will has figured it out. Zipper down pj's have even become a source of entertainment for the kid when I am not watching. He unzips them and if they have a snap at the top to keep kids from unzipping them, he undoes the snap too. It is rather chilly around here at night and he always kicks his blanket off, so he really needs to at least have his pj's on. Being the smart momma that I am, I have managed to stay one step ahead of him though. Currently he is wearing a pair of zip down pj's... with a t-shirt over top. He looks totally ridiculous but his clothes stay on during the night, he stays warm and cozy, and I don't have to fear getting him out of bed with the contents of his diaper all over the place.

Will knows the color yellow. Sometimes he speaks in 2-3 word sentences. He did spill out a 4 word sentence over the weekend and I can't remember what it was. He tries to sing his ABC's and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. The kid is hysterical with a football. It is scary how much he has picked up from us watching football games on TV. He will tuck the ball in his arm and take off running in this hunched over position, protecting the ball at all times. He dodges and weaves and usually ends up getting tackled by some invisible player that apparently lurks around our house.

Marcus knows the colors yellow (big surprise there), red, blue, and sometimes green. He has pointed out pink things to me a couple times as well. Everyday I hear new words. I mentioned the other day that I was going Christmas shopping and he started talking all about getting Grammy a yellow present and presents for Marcus too and ho ho ho. Many times I have barked out all these things that we needed to do before leaving and Marcus apparently listens to each and everything I say and won't let me forget to do something. Twice now he has reminded me that I needed to take a snack with me when we left the house. He's always been a fan of helping and now his helping is getting even more useful. He sets the table and takes dirty laundry to the laundry room and puts baskets of clean laundry in the right room. He is very excited that he taught himself how to fold wash cloths and hand towels. I'm very excited about this too!

So if you made it this far with my rambling, Happy Thanksgiving to you!

1 Comments:
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

great tip re: the zippered PJs...they don't last a minute on these days. I think in addition to just being naked, she likes the fact that she can unzip. And I agree, when they want to go potty, what PITA!

going to check my wrapping paper stash for you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home