gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, June 13, 2009

(Friday) Annie Concert Series and Game 7

The plan was that the whole family would head to the Three Rivers Arts Festival on Friday night and the kids would get to attend their first concert. Then the Stanley Cup Finals had to go to game 7. Greg wasn't about to miss the Pittsburgh Penguins taking a shot at the Stanley Cup and I wasn't about to miss a night of great music. I kissed the family goodbye and goodnight and Greg put the kids to bed and settled in for some hockey on television.

I met up with Val and my ConcertBFF (Brian) downtown. We hung out at the fountain at The Point for a bit.


Then we headed over to the stage. This was only the second time I had seen Robert Randolph & The Family Band live, but after the first time, they had me coming back for more. The first time I saw them they opened for Black Crowes and I had never heard of them before. I had really been missing out.

Robert Randolph & The Family Band was just plain fun. They really know how to get the crowd moving and dancing and just enjoying life a little bit more. I only knew a few of the songs they played but with a band like them, it doesn't even matter. They are kind of a funky jam band and each song is love at first listen.



ConcertBFF was feeling guilt about not watching the Pens game so he compromised by listening to the concert in one ear and listening to the game in the other. He tapped me on the shoulder to let me know the Pens were up by one. Shortly after Robert Randolph told the audience, and then they started singing things into the songs about the Pens and "Go team". Another tap and the Pens were ahead by 2.

I felt a little guilt about not watching the Pens game too, but my loyalties were with some good music. I was having such a great time at the concert I knew I made the right choice.

The concert ended about the same time as the second period of the game. I was giving ConcertBFF a ride home and I was parked on the top floor of a parking garage. Just at that same time, the Pirate game was ending so everyone in the parking garage was trying to get out. We were listening to the game on the radio and were convinced that we would still be in the parking garage when the game ended. That parking lot exited so smoothly that we were on the road in no time.

I was at the edge of the drivers seat listening to those last few seconds of the game. When the final buzzer sounded declaring the Pens champions, I beeped my horn like crazy. The roads were empty though since most everyone was probably somewhere inside watching the game. A few miles down the road on RT 51, there were a bunch of guys outside a bar celebrating so we beeped at them. They had a 6 ft tall Stanley Cup made out of aluminum foil and were jumping up and down with it in the middle of the road.

I might have missed seeing the game, but I still had a good time celebrating. And I had an awesome time watching Robert Randolph & The Family Band do their thing up on stage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home