gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Big Kids

Marcus has always done his growing and developing in spurts and at his own pace. He didn't start walking until he was almost 17 months old but then he was running. Up until he was 15 months old he only had 1 word. Then suddenly he had a hundred. Even now while some of his peers have been speaking in long sentences, he prefers to stick to 3-4 word thoughts. His language consists of nouns, pronouns, verbs, and adjectives. Lately he has been using more complicated words like almost, yet, now, and later. I hear a lot, "Almost there!" or "Snack not ready yet," or "Play now, nap later". He has a huge vocabulary and doesn't have any issue getting his thoughts across with confidence (and volume), just doesn't string a lot of words together. I put him down for a nap yesterday and apparently he was practicing his language in his sleep. I got him up and he said, "I close door laundry room so Maya no go in there."

Will has had a couple of bad days. He is struggling with being a toddler. I would imagine it would be hard since I personally don't remember those days. He wants and can do all these big kid things but gaining independence can be scary and overwhelming. He is potty trained. Or he was until he decided over the past few days that peeing in his underwear is fine. He is still doing a great job at sleeping in his big boy bed. He gets himself mostly undressed each night for bath. And he has been pressing my buttons and breaking rules and getting in lots of trouble as he tests his boundaries. All this big kid stuff is making him realize that he still needs some little kid stuff too. He likes to cuddle with his daddy or my friends or people I just met. He doesn't cuddle with me. Over the last couple of days while he has struggled to be a big boy, he has given in letting his mommy cuddle with him and baby him. This part of the struggle has been nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home