gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Pirate Sighting

This actually happened a few weeks ago and I forgot I wanted to blog about it.

Had to make a quick stop at this little corner store/deli by our house for something. Actually, I used to work there briefly (and hated every minute of it) in high school. It was lunch time and a lot of people stop in to get something from the deli and, on nice days, sit in front at picnic tables enjoying their lunch. Not surprising, a large majority of these lunchers are construction workers, utility workers, or men performing other sorts of blue collar work that would land them on the road out this way come lunch time. I was not at all surprised when we pulled into the store and saw several trucks with ladders on the top. I got out of my car and turned to get the kids out of the back when I saw two men getting out of their pickup truck. They were headed past me and into the store. Both men were in their ratty work clothes and wore bandannas on on their heads. Both had full, unkept beards. Nothing out of the ordinary really... except that one guy had an eye patch. Yeah, I have two little boys that love all things little boys love like dirt and bugs and - what was that other thing? Oh yes, they love pirates.

I wasn't too concerned about Will. He spends most of his time in his own little world not paying too much attention to what is going on around him. But Marcus, he never misses a thing. Doesn't help that he is at that age where he asks all kinds of questions very loudly. This store is tiny. There was going to be no way to avoid passing these men inside. My mind was quickly predicting the future and I was already becoming embarrassed over the fact that my kid would soon be pointing and talking loudly about the pirate in the store. I made a plan.

As I was getting Marcus out of his car seat I excitedly whispered that when we went in the store, we were going to see a pirate in there. He got pretty excited. Then I let him know that he shouldn't say the word "pirate" while we were around the pirate. See, pirates get really mad when you say the word pirate around them. I asked him if he could please not say anything about pirates and he assured me that he could do that.

Into the store we went. I held my breath the whole time. We walked right past the two men who were waiting at the deli. Marcus was so busy looking for the pirates that he initially missed them. As we walked toward the cash register I knew Marcus had spotted the men. He kind of tugged on my arm and I did a little nod to let him know that I saw them too. I think I even put my finger to my lips to remind him that we most certainly didn't want to make the pirates mad by saying the word "pirate". We paid. We got in the car. I gave Marcus a big high five for not talking about the pirates. We saw the two men coming out of the store and figured I better point them out to Will since he had no clue what we were talking about.

Score for me for not having my kids completely embarrass me! Plus, the kids were super excited about the whole encounter. It was the first thing that they told Greg about when he got home from work. Will shouted, "Daddy! We saw TWO pirates today!" Marcus whispered quietly, "We don't want to say 'pirate'. They get mad."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home