gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, May 01, 2010

You Can Eat Cake!

A long while back my friend Dr. Mama Drama posted on her blog about a cake creation she had spotted. She provided a link to a rainbow cake. I instantly thought that someday that link would come in handy. I bookmarked it and thought about the cake over there often. Maybe I could make it for Will's third birthday? Nope, he requested Elmo cupcakes. The blog suggested I could make it for some one's coming out party. That event just hasn't presented itself. Then I noticed, it said right there on the blog that this cake would be perfect for "your mom's birthday". I have no idea when your mom's birthday is, but my mom's birthday was last weekend and I decided she needed a rainbow cake.

I made a somewhat last minute plan to take this on. (Last minute for me since I tend to plan insanely ahead for things.) I went out to get the ingredients last Friday, mid-morning, and was instantly reminded why I do my grocery shopping at the crack of dawn on Mondays. Wow, there were a lot of people at the store. At last I made it home with a box of white cake mix, a bunch of berries, and a huge amount of red dye #5 (among other colors). I was a tad apprehensive since I had only ever made any sort of cake one other time in my life. It wasn't so bad... since all I had to do was follow the directions on the box for the most part.

Mixed up the cake mix according to the package directions.

I decided to use five colors so I separated the cake batter somewhat evenly into five bowls. The original recipe calls for using gel food dye to get brilliant colors. I had no luck finding any so I just used regular food coloring and my colors were still quite vivid.



I dumped half of the cake mix into each cake pan, dumping right into the middle and no mixing! I did the colors in the opposite order in each pan.



Into the oven and back out again.


I had way too much fun decorating the cake. Almost as much fun as I had licking the inside of the icing container when I was done.



My mom and her grandkids might look kind of fuzzy here, but I assure you they were all pretty excited about the cake... and they didn't even know what it looked like inside yet!


What did it look like inside? Like this! (The red actually looked more red in person and not as pink as shown in the photos.)



Everyone enjoyed eating and looking at the fun cake. My kids were even pretty excited to find out a couple days later that all that food coloring turns certain things in their bodies interesting colors too...

Happy Birthday Mom!

3 Comments:
At 10:19 PM, Blogger DrBabyMamaDrama said...

I am so glad that someone made the cake. It turned out really well! I am saving this for a future party, I think.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Oooo, Pretty!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you mentioned the um, side effects, because as a former nanny, it was horrifying to see kids experience said side effect without knowing the source of the issue! LOL! Glad your guts all survived the experience of the really cool cake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home