gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cute Guatemalan Kids, Take 1

Every August for the past few years we have gone to two picnics for families who have adopted from Guatemala. The first one is at a wonderful family's house. The first year we went, I didn't even know the family and only knew one other person there. It was a bit awkward to show up at these complete stranger's house. We lucked out though because they are such nice people. Other the past few picnics, we have shared adoption stories and marveled over how much each of the kids has grown. This year, I found myself involved in very few conversations about the adoption process. Five years ago, my whole life revolved around things like DNA tests, PGN, and "getting pink". Now all that seems almost foreign to me. I can't remember half of what was in the giant stack of documents that we had to send off to Guatemala. As consuming as bringing my kids into my life was, it almost seems like a tiny little hiccup in the life that I have been able to share with them. No matter the story, it still amazes me every time I get to spend time with other families with children from Guatemala. What if? What if we had taken another route? What if we had waited a little longer to do our paperwork and the child we now have in our lives had gone to another family? What if Marcus and Will weren't brothers? What if we never got to meet any of these people and share this amazing bond through adoption? What if these beautiful kids didn't get to be friends?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home