gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Stranger Danger

I have stranger danger. Talking to strangers is just dangerous. At least that is what I was always taught. I have taken two trips to the mall now with Marcus in tow and it has become inevitable that I will talk to strangers. At least, strangers will talk to Marcus. I am used to going to the mall, looking at things, ignoring everyone else there unless I accidentally bump into them or need around them, and then I go on my way. Those days are over, at least until Marcus stops being so cute.

Most people talk to Marcus. This is just the oddest thing. Am I supposed to talk back? Should I at least slow down the stroller? Or should I look the other way, run them down with my stroller, and pretend I am in a huge hurry?

Some people talk to me, asking me questions about Marcus (How much did he weigh when he was born? was the strangest so far). Some people tell me how cute he is. I just smile and say, Thank you. (The "your son is so cute" comment is a hard one for me to just smile and say, Thank you, to. It isnt like I have any control over how cute he is.) I do better when they talk to me. Then I know I am supposed to talk back.

Gone are the days when I can go out, hide behind my hair, and go along with my business. Gone ever are the days when I walk through my college town and people point and say, "There's the girl with the cool dog!" Here are the days of smiling, talking to strangers, and showing off what a fabulous child I have to all the world. I guess I can deal with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home