gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Friday, February 23, 2007

New Things

First, to get it out of the way, no update on Alejadro yet. Still waiting...

So what have we been doing while we have been waiting? Marcus has been working on new and exciting ways to communicate with us. The old ways were just laughing and crying mostly. Now he cries, screams, whines, and does this very loud and very annoying grunting/screaming/whining noise that makes you want to insert earplugs for all eternity. Oh yeah, total joy. Part of the noise making is due to frustration. He tries to do things that either can't be done but he doesn't realize this, or he just hasn't totally developed the skills to do them. I can understand his frustration. However, his reasons for making these new noises most of the time is a complete mystery to Greg and me. For example, we will be playing. We will all be having a great time. Marcus might even let out a few laughs. Then without warning he just starts screaming and crying. These aren't the kinds of cries that indicate he is hungry or tired. These are the kinds of cries he has when he has just tipped over onto his head. Yet, he didn't even move, let alone tip over onto his head. Then as quickly as he started, he stops. Usually he goes right back into whining or that splendid grunting/screaming/whining noise we all love.

Yesterday Marcus and I headed up to Rainy Day Play Center. I have heard from several people what a wonderful place it was. I couldn't possibly believe them and had to check it out for myself. Turns out, the rumors are true. This place is great! We met up with Sarah and Rachel. Sarah contacted me once after reading my blog. She adopted her daughter Rachel from Guatemala several months prior to us adopting Marcus. This was the first time I got to meet Sarah and Rachel in person. We talked non-stop about parenting and adoption. I love hanging out with other moms and talking about kids, but this was the first time I really got to spend time with another adoptive parent since we were in Guatemala. There are things that only other adoptive parents can really understand. So Sarah, if you read this, thanks!

Back to Rainy Day Play Center. This place is great! (Did I say that already?) First of all, adults are free and so are children under the age of 2. We more than got our money's worth considering we didn't spend a dime to get in! There are several play areas with different themes. We spent a lot of time in the kitchen/store area where Marcus chewed on plates and Rachel ran around and tried to escape. Then we headed over to the toddler area. Marcus was so excited as we neared, he started pushing off of me so I would put him down to play. Then we ate lunch. The staff there was great! Since I had never been there before, they came to check on me to make sure I didn't have any questions. Then when we discovered that there were no tables to eat at, a staff member directed us to a party room and even took a high chair over for us! After lunch, it was time for large motor skill development. (This was mainly for the development of my large motor skills, just for clarification.) We headed to the big, two level jungle gym. There were six sliding boards (Marcus and I hit up 5 of them), a climbing wall, a mirror maze, a room with two big exercise balls inside (Marcus loved these), an obstacle course (which is difficult to maneuver since the ceiling was low and I was carrying a 20+ lb child), and a suspension bridge. I think it is safe to say that I had more fun than Marcus did! There is also a big inflatable jumping "thing". We just bounced along the edge of that though.

It was a great day! I am already making plans to go back next week. Marcus was beat. He only managed to stay awake for about 2 minutes in the car on the way home. I was beat too and ready for a nap when we got home. It is exhausting acting like a kid all day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home