gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Sunday, June 03, 2007

More Adoption Stuff

I was so excited about getting the DNA results and so touched by the picture of William with his birthmom, that I didn't get a chance to write about all the adoption related stuff that happened on Friday.

Let me start off by saying that being in the middle of an adoption process is quite an odd experience. It is like I have two completely separate lives. There is the life I am experiencing in the "real" world where I get up and go to work and play with Marcus and make dinner, and sometimes clean my house. There there is this other world that I am really not a part of but more of spectator. It is kinda like when you read a book and you really engrossed and you feel what the characters feel and can imagine what they are seeing, and it is almost like you know them. You want to yell out to them or comfort them but you can't because they are just words on a page and you have no ability to influence them. This whole adoption process is me sitting around analyzing things and thinking things and reading email updates on those rare occasions I get them, but really I am just a spectator. I have no influence on what happens and pretty much all the characters could care less about what I am thinking. I just can't wait until my "real" world and that other world of mine get a chance to collide.

So, back to Friday. To explain Friday, I must go all the way back about 7 months ago when I brought Marcus home. There is a woman at work who is always sending out announcements to everyone in the office about who died or is in the hospital or had someone related to them die or become hospitalized. I have been with the company for almost 5 years now and in all that time no one has had a baby. I wasn't quite sure what the protocol was but I was thinking that this woman, R, would send out an email announcement to everyone like she does with deaths. When Marcus came home I emailed her with all the details of when the adoption was finalized and pictures and such. She congratulated me personally but never sent out an email announcement. I filed that away in my brain for later use.

Then about 5 months ago I was in the office with Marcus. I ran into R and was chatting with her and she was adoring Marcus because you just have to. Then I ran into this other employee J who told R and I that she was pregnant. While I was standing right there R said, "We should have a shower or something for you!" Umm, yeah, where was my shower? As far as I know a shower never took place (or at least I wasn't invited!) and I tucked that piece of information away in my brain.

Back to Friday. I went into work and found out through word of mouth that J had her baby. This is just wonderful and I am really excited for her. A few hours later everyone in the office received an email from R with all the details of J's baby, name and size and whatever else it is that people usually announce but for the most part has no real bearing on making any one's life more full. This really started to rub me the wrong way because despite the fact that I gave R all kinds of information on Marcus joining our family, there was no email announcement. Later in the day when things slowed down and I had a chance to stew, I started thinking about this. As I was deep in thought about being rubbed the wrong way, I got another new email from R. This one was filled with J's address along with the explanation that if we want to mail her cards or gifts we can send them to that address, as well as containing a reminder about the baby's name in case we didn't remember from the first email. My being rubbed the wrong way quickly escalated into being pissed off.

R is a nice lady, an older lady, always filled with kind words. I wanted to do my best to explaining to her that she pissed me off without coming off mean and bitter. I don't know if I succeeded but I did get my point across. I emailed her and told her that I was disappointed that I didn't get a single email when I added a new family member to my household but J got TWO emails, one of which explained where cards could be sent! Then I wrote, "All this time I was thinking that bringing a baby into my house was just as special." Not surprisingly, I got a huge apology. R said that she could send out an email right now if I wanted her to announcing Marcus coming home SEVEN months ago. No thank you. The last thing I want was a pity email. Through a few more emails I reminded her that we will be adopting again and perhaps she would remember this in the future. In the end the score is as follows:

Adoption: 1
People who let slip their minds that adoption is not equal to the birth of a child into your family: 0

So after that I was all worked up and left work and picked up Marcus. I was sad to see that my efforts weren't rewarded by DNA results in my mailbox (which showed up on Saturday in case you missed that) but I did spot a peculiar package tucked into my storm door. I was quite surprised to find that we received a second video of William! I had to wait for Greg to get home before we could watch it, because I am nice and considerate like that. Eventually I am sure the video will end up on our youtube page but as of right now I just get to tell you about it. William was being held by his foster mom. She demonstrated his favorite position for us: on his belly across her knees. William broke out into a huge smile when he was placed like that. We were told that he naps well and sleeps through the night. He drinks 6 bottles a day and also has started baby food. All his baby food is homemade, which is a shame because he won't be getting home made baby food when he comes here! I am lucky if I make a meal for us that doesn't come from a prepared jar! His foster mom said that he is perfect and the first thing he does in the morning is smile. He just smiles all day long. He was wearing one of the outfits that we sent him in the video as well. Oh, and he was super duper incredibly cute!

And very very soon we will be holding him and loving him all over!! We have pretty much decided when we are going to take our visit trip. We just need to confirm with the hotel that they will have rooms available before we book our flight. Unfortunately, the price of the flight went up $30 a person from the time we looked at it yesterday afternoon until last night. We probably won't hear back from the hotel until tomorrow, and then we have to start packing!

1 Comments:
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

I can't wait to see the latest video! How exciting, and what a great way to get the frustration from work off of your mind! Are the foster parents calling William William now too? They seem like such great people, it must make it a bit easier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home