gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Pretend Camping

We were hoping to take Marcus on his first camping trip this weekend. Long story short, we didn't go. We did have quite an exciting weekend though.




Don't worry, no one really died. We started off the weekend after work on Friday by spending some time on the driveway. Marcus seemed to have mastered his walking push toy overnight and we were getting tired of doing laps inside the house. It was a beautiful evening so we headed out to do laps on the driveway.



We took some chalk with us as well. Marcus insisted on holding on to at least one piece of chalk while he was pushing his toy and would often randomly stop, sit down, and draw. He drew some really nice pictures!



The weather was beautiful and we were sad that we weren't camping. We decided to pretend camp. We set up our tent in our backyard and played outside all evening.



I wasn't sure how Marcus would sleep that night, figuring it would be strange for him to fall asleep alone in a tent while in his pack 'n play. I laid him down, told him that Daddy and I would be right outside, and we didn't hear a peep from him until 7:00 the next morning. Greg and I spent the evening on the patio playing cards, which is an activity that we often partake in while we are for real camping.

We continued our pretend camping trip on Saturday by taking a trip to Coopers Rock, WV. Coopers Rock is one of my favorite places. I spent a lot of time there in high school. It was just a quick trip from my college campus and I went there often throughout college to go hiking or just watch the sun set. I strapped Marcus on my back when we arrived and we headed to the overlook to get a view of the incredible sight.




Then it was time for a quick picnic lunch under some big trees. We needed to be well-nourished before our big hike!



I just love Coopers Rock so much. It is such a beautiful place and every time I am there I discover something new. It is on top of a mountain with rhododendron everywhere. They aren't like the rhododendron that I have out in my front yard. These ones are huge and more like trees than little decorative shrubs. The place is so rocky as well, with huge boulders everywhere. Sometimes you are hiking along a wooded trail and suddenly there is a big rock ahead of you, jutting out from the ground. There are a few caves in the area but I only remember where one of them is and we weren't hiking near it.

We decided to head into Rock City. We just walked at first, not really paying attention to any particular trail, just exploring around some of the big boulders. I didn't do as much exploring as I might have had I not been carrying Marcus on my back. We connected with a real trail eventually and headed into a forest of rhododendron. It was so thick that only small specs of light made their way through.





We kept hiking and found ourselves deep within the rocks. On both sides of us rocks climbed up about 25 feet. The path was narrow and it was very cool.



There were a few places we probably could have veered off the trail to do some exploring but we decided to stick to the trail, letting Peyote lead the way. She used to by my sole hiking partner but now our clan has grown and she was just as excited as I was to get to share Coopers Rock with the rest of the family. The trail suddenly turned upward. We scampered up some rocks and suddenly we were in a different world. Now instead of being surrounded by rocks on either side, we were above the rocks. We had to be careful where we stepped because what looked like solid ground would suddenly stop and we could see down between the rocks to more paths below us. We headed out of Rock City and followed a trail through some woods. We circled back and started going back where we came from. Marcus thought about taking some rhododendron home with him and carried a piece a good bit of the way, but ultimately decided to leave it behind.



I couldn't believe I was able to carry Marcus most of the way. We did stop to take a little break on the way back.



The last leg of the hike was uphill and I just didn't think I could make it. Greg took over and got Marcus back to the parking lot, with Peyote dragging me the rest of the way.


Marcus slept the whole way home and I caught myself nodding off once as well. When we got back, I stepped up to the stove and made Guatemalan Beef with Tomato Pepper Sauce, a recipe that will be in our fundraiser cookbook that I should start taking orders for soon. I was starving! The food took awhile to cook but it was well worth the wait. Yummy!

We headed out to do a few more laps on the driveway before Marcus was ready for a bath and ready to go back into the tent for yet another night of pretend camping. Greg and I played some more cards and I was asleep before my head ever hit the air mattress. (Yes, we have an air mattress. My days of hardcore camping with my head in a pile of leaves are long gone.)

Usually Marcus sleeps in a bit on the weekends. Not today. It must have been all those lovely city birds singing this morning but when I opened my eyes at 6 am, he was sitting in his pack 'n play, staring me down. It made for a very long day. After lunch Greg and Marcus were both able to get in a 4 1/2 hour nap. I headed out with a friend to get fabric to finish William's blanket and to get some fabric so I can make a Mayan Sling/Wrap that my friend wants to give to a friend of hers.

Marcus is snoring away already. It isn't quite 8:00. I am so ready for bed! Pretend camping is exhausting!

2 Comments:
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Pretend camping looks like a lot of fun! I just don't see Kevin sleeping outside if his bed is that close.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I love Coopers Rock! Rock City is where Jon and I went on our first real date. These pictures bring back so many memories. I think a drive down there is in order after we get home from Nags Head! Can't wait to try out my new carrier, woohoo!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home