gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Obligatory New Year Post

I guess it is that time when I am supposed to type out all those things that happened over the past year or how much the beginning of 2008 is different from the beginning of 2007. Really, if you want to know, just read my old blog entries.

Or, I'll play nice and talk about all the things above.

So last year at this time Greg was just going back to work after being on parental leave. This year, Greg is just going back to work after being on parental leave. (See, no point in recapping because nothing has changed!) Marcus was a mere 9 months old. He was still perfecting his scooting skillz and hadn't learned to even pull up yet. We were still up at least once a night with him and at this point, I can't remember the last time we had to get up with him in the middle of the night. It has been months. Scooting is a thing of the past as well. Now Marcus is all about running, climbing, tackling, jumping, spinning, and otherwise moving himself at an incredibly rapid pace. At this time last year we had just told our families that we were going to adopt again and didn't even have a clue that William was already living in this world. Now, of course, he is home, over a year old, and smiling like crazy. (Or driving me crazy, at least today.)

As far as I go, I am sure I changed a lot but most of that is internal change. I am a much more confident parent. At least I am confident that I can take care of one child. I am still working on my confidence in taking care of two kids. I am still on this never ending search for what exactly it is I want to do with my life (particularly after my kids are less dependent on me).

I guess that is all I can think of. See, that is why I didn't feel like doing a year in a review. There just really wasn't anything all that inspiring that everyone doesn't already know about.

Onto more present events. Greg went back to work on Monday, December 31. I was very much not looking forward to being home alone with two kids. There came a point during the morning when I actually thought, This is awesome! The kids and I were having so much fun. Then lunch came. I knew that would be the trouble spot and it was. I was trying to make lunch while two kids were very cranky and hungry and tired. Marcus and William both ended up in tears but lunch was made, served, and both kids got a story and were off in dream land.

Every New Years Eve for the past few years we have gone out for Japanese with our friends Jody and Geoff. The times are changing though. Jody and Geoff are expecting their first child in a few months and Jody just couldn't stomach Japanese food. So this year, we went for Italian. It was great to catch up with them and Marcus and William were generally very patient during dinner. Our waiter was a bit spacey although not horrible. He thought he was horrible though and offered us some gum at the end of the meal to make up for the service. That was weird.

Jody and Geoff came over to our place for a bit after dinner. The kids headed to bed and we played some Cranium and then some Taboo. Our company left around 10 and Greg and I bummed around for about another hour. We didn't even bother to stay up to ring in the New Year. Wow, we are so old.

Greg is back at work this morning, something that proved challenging. (It snowed last night, the roads weren't plowed, then the car wouldn't start so he had to jump it and then go to get another battery for the car. Then before he could get the new battery he had to come back home because he managed to leave the house without his wallet.) I am stuck here with two kids. It is funny because on Monday I felt like it was this new challenge and opportunity. Today it feels like it I am stuck. Things are going quite as smoothly as they did on Monday either. I'd write about it but frankly, I just want to forget and get on with my day. The kids are napping and I am regrouping and this afternoon will be fabulous.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home