gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Taking the Plunge... I think... Maybe...

I think I am going to try to potty train Marcus. I'm completely anxious about this for two reasons. First, I don't want him to fail. He is my little boy and I want to protect him from all failure forever, even though I know this is completely unrealistic. Second of all, I really don't want pee and poo all over my house. My sister already warned me that the first few days of potty training my nephew was like having a puppy. I haven't had a puppy for 9 years. I am going to try to borrow my sister's steam cleaner this weekend so hopefully that will help the situation.

As of now, Marcus sits on the potty at four distinct times throughout the day. He almost always goes pee pee while there, but wasn't quite that successful this past week with being sick and all. He concentrates really hard and really gets it that he can control it. Then of course we cheer like crazy, give high fives, and he shouts out for the dog to come in so she can celebrate his victory too. He is also learning how to dress and undress himself and pretty much has the whole pulling up and down of pants thing under control. He hasn't discovered going #2 on the potty yet although Greg and I do cheer when he toots on the potty.

I thought about doing this a couple weeks ago. I even bought him some big boy underwear, a pack of 3. Three pairs? I am thinking those would be soaked through in about 2 hours. Today when we were out at Target I decided to start to stock up. Unfortunately, Target was completely out of the XS size. Even the XS size say they fit a minimum of 33 lbs of kid. Marcus is just barely over the 29 lb mark. We do have a couple gift cards for Toys 'R Us so I think we are going to hit that up tomorrow. I also picked up a cheap package of pull-up type training pants because I know that I won't be brave enough for quite awhile to go out in public with nothing between his bum and the rest of the world but a couple of plies of cotton.

Today I showed off the new big boy underwear to Marcus. He was sooooo excited! I'm not sure he really gets what they are for but I kept talking about how he will get to wear those really soon, as soon as he starts putting all his pee pee and poo poo in the potty. Then he can have this super cool big boy underwear to put on like his cousin Scott wears. I expected absolutely no reaction from him but he kept smiling. When I put them away he was yelling, "More! More!" I am taking this as a good sign.

If any of my blog readers have any advice on the potty training or words of encouragement (for me of course to do this), fire away!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home