gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

How do you transport a giraffe?

This is just one of those questions that has been on my mind for quite some time now. Probably years actually. It isn't something I obsess about, just something that pops into my mind at various times. It always seems to pop into my mind at times when I do not have access to Google, like in the shower. Today that exact thing happened. I was so fixated on remembering to google my question when I got out of the shower that I only managed to shave one of my legs which has proved to be very annoying. Anyway, onto the point. How do you transport a giraffe?

Transporting any large animal is a huge undertaking with lots of advance preparation necessary. It isn't unusual to plan for 3-6 months or more before the actual transporting will take place. Making plans to move a giraffe adds just one more dimention to that already difficult process.

Giraffes are often moved by air, sea, and land (truck). Most airlines are not equipped to move giraffes that are taller than 3m high. Giraffes grow very rapidly and therefore if air travel is in their future, it must take place shortly after weaning, as soon as possible. Giraffes must be placed in containers that comply with IATA Live Animal Regulations. (I'm not making this up. I have sources.) When traveling by plane, the ascent and decent of the plane must be a low trajectory or there is risk of the giraffe losing consciousness. (I found this funny for some reason.)

Transportation by sea can often take weeks so it is imperative that there is plenty of food and water available. A veterinarian should also be on board to check on the giraffe. Giraffes have been known to become sea sick.

Giraffes are also transported by truck. I found a company in Europe that specializes in transporting animals and has a whole section of their web page dedicated to talking about their transport vehicle for moving giraffes. Like any other way of transporting giraffes, a lot of planning goes into moving giraffes via truck. Adult giraffes can be around 16 feet tall and the vehicle that carries them must provide enough room for the giraffe to fully stand, turn around, and lay down comfortably. Usually a low loader is used, a trailer that sits lower on the tires. Often times power lines need to be moved in order for the trailer to pass under them and the route that the truck takes must avoid any overpasses with lower clearances.

If you are in a pinch and that giraffe really needs to be moved, you could always use a convertible.
Photobucket

There you have it. Perhaps you learned something today. I am off to shave my other leg.

References:
http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/pgpages/pagegen.302.aspx
www.deppert.se/AnswertoGiraffeTransportation.doc

1 Comments:
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband once called me from a business trip as he was driving on the highway. He was behind what looked like a super tall horse trailer. And then he saw the giraffe stick it's head out! He said it was so weird he didn't realize he was following it at 40 mph on the highway for quite some time. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home