gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, July 07, 2008

Birds!

Today we went to my mother-in-law's favorite place in the whole world, The National Aviary. We opted to make the trip without my mother-in-law this time and instead went with Cara, Max, and Andy. I discovered last week that during the summer there is a Little Peepers program that is designed for kids ages 2-5. Plus, kids under the age of 6 had free admission so that just sealed the deal.

We got there a little early and heard that there was a feeding going on in one of the spaces so we headed there. As we were entering the room there was a large bird hanging out by the door. Will started completely freaking out. I was concerned that he had some irrational fear of birds, which is just a really bizarre fear in my opinion. After spending more time in the aviary though I think he just really didn't like that particular bird.

The Little Peepers program was cute. We tried to get close enough to the front to see but not so close that I would have to take my kids out of the safe confines of the stroller so not to block the view for other people. A woman next to me asked about the ages of my kids and then pointed out her son, a Guatemalan looking boy seated on the floor. I said that I had noticed him when I walked in the room and he was adorable. She said she thought my kids might be... I just said yes, knowing what she was getting at yet still understanding why you might not just want to blurt out ADOPTED to some stranger. I think adoptive parents should have some special code so you can ask but if the kids aren't adopted the parents won't have a clue what you are talking about and thus not get offended. Anyway, heard some stories and then a penguin came out so the kids could see that. After that a little craft took place.


Cara and I rounded up our kids and went to find some more birds. We had the joy of dealing with other people's kids which is not a joy whatsoever. Not sure if Cara was planning on blogging about this situation but really it is her story to tell. Will got freaked out by the same bird yet again. Then we stumbled into another room where a feeding was going on.

I really wanted to volunteer to feed a bird but didn't get a chance because an old lady and several adults decided to push right in front of me and my kids so they could see better. Seriously, what is wrong with people? Now that behavior I would have totally expected from kids but these are grown people!

Despite all the complaining I just did, it was a great way to spend the morning. Marcus kept telling me that he was all done each time we would stop to look at the birdies at first but after awhile he seemed to enjoy watching them. We got quite a show from this humongous hawk. This bird kept flapping its wings right in the window in front of us. The wingspan on this thing had to have been larger than the distance from my finger tip to fingertip. My mother-in-law would have loved it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home