gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Family Fun

With all this house selling and buying and moving and Greg working crazy hours, I can't remember the last time we did something together - just the four of us - that didn't involve errands. I woke up Thursday morning and decided that I just needed to get out. I needed to do something fun outside that I really enjoy and haven't gotten to do. Everyone tells you when you have kids that your life will change, but no one tells you that you will find yourself wondering how you ever stopped doing some of the things you really love. I love bike riding. Always have. Loved it when I was a kid. Got into mountain biking in high school and college. Before kids I used to go to the park every single day after work in the summer and bike. What happened to that girl? Thursday morning after making the realization that I could actually still bike with kids, and Greg too, I sent an email off to Greg and we made plans. The unfortunate part was that we were supposed to go to a housewarming party today but that just didn't happen. We were in just too much dire need for some family time. Sorry!

We got everything together this morning and headed out before 10 am. We went to one of my favorite places in the whole world, Ohiopyle, PA. I have spent so much time hiking, biking, white water rafting, and camping there. I even tried kayaking there at one point but finally decided that wasn't for me. I was concerned about the weather. The high temperature today was in the 50's. I knew it wouldn't be too bad for Greg and me but since the kids were just going to be sitting and getting wind in their faces the entire time, I packed layers and layers of clothing for them. First thing we did was eat a little picnic lunch. We decided to conserve energy and just stay at the car. Plus, it was a little cold be sitting out on a picnic bench or on the ground. I told Greg to get over by the kids so I could get a picture of the three of them since I don't have too many good ones. I guess this is as good as it gets.

We got an extra special treat while eating our lunch. Just so happens we were parked right by some train tracks which are frequently used!


The kids were so excited about the bike ride that they were climbing in the trailer before we were ready. Since we were concerned about the temperature, we started off the bike ride with the trailer closed to keep some of the wind off of them. I was able to get a rare picture where they were both looking at the camera... I think.


A very short distance into the bike ride and we were at a bridge crossing the Youghiogheny River. What a beautiful fall day!



Then we were in paradise. It was so beautiful I almost cried. I just wanted to wrap up all these colors and take them home with me. This picture doesn't even come close to capturing how beautiful it was.


I only biked that part of the trail once, about 10 years ago. I had a vague memory of this really cool spot on the trail and decided that we wouldn't stop until we got there. The trail is basically flat, just a gentle decline as it runs along the downward flowing river. Greg suggested at one point that we should probably head back but I told him my plan to keep going to this spot I remembered - as long as it wasn't more than 2 more miles. I was tired. It didn't help that my bike is in some serious need of servicing and only 2 of the 21 gears were working. We ended up taking a little break before getting to my desired destination. Greg and I needed a rest and the kids needed to stretch their legs. We did some leaf throwing.


Then a little posing with Greg because I was determined to get a good picture of the three of them.


Then Marcus had to poop. Right there in the middle of the woods where the only running water was the river. There wasn't even a bucket in sight. Really, what else were we to do?

(Greg said I should have zoomed in so you could see Marcus's bare bum hanging over the edge of the log but I felt it was more kind to let my readers just use their imagination.)

Soon enough, we were back on the trail. The kids really like riding in the bike trailer, despite facial expressions that might tell you differently.


Less than a 1/2 mile later, finally got to where I was headed. Just a few minutes earlier we had heard a trail going by on the other side of the river. I had really hoped we would have made it to our destination a little bit sooner. It was still very beautiful!


This group of trees looked very tropical to me.


Shortly after we turned around to head back to our car I thought, Maybe Greg knew what he was talking about 2 miles back when he suggested we turn around. We had biked 6 miles to get to the little clearing overlooking the river, which meant we had to bike another 6 miles to get back to our car. This time, we were also heading upstream so it was 6 miles of gentle incline. About a mile into it Will fell asleep. Another mile and Marcus was totally slumped over in the trailer zonked out. I tried to get a picture of this but as soon as I stopped both kids looked up at me with droopy eyes. Back to pedalling and they were out again. A couple more miles and my knees started getting really irritated at me for continually bending and straightening them. Those last two miles I started to wonder if I was even going to make it. If I would have had the energy, I might have had a party right there on the trail when I saw some people walking. Greg said it was like seeing seagulls and knowing you are close to shore. About 2 1/2 hours and 12 miles later, we were back to where we started. We felt it was necessary to treat ourselves after all that family fun with a little ice cream.

On the way out of town, we stopped at this restroom in Ohiopyle. I took this picture of the outside of the restroom because I thought it was really funny. If you can guess why I thought it was funny you will get a great big "Attaboy!" from me. The answer will be reveled in an upcoming blog... if I remember.

1 Comments:
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Alethea said...

God I miss PA in the fall. The changing of the leaves is like a joke here in comparison.
Great pics! Glad to see you and your boys all had a lovely time, despite the next day soreness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home