gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Back Home

A couple days ago I finally picked up the pooch's remains from the vet. They had been ready for awhile but with the holidays and house guests and the fact that the vet was 45 minutes away, going to get her kept getting delayed. And as much as I needed to do that to heal, it was still something I didn't want to do.

I have been feeling pretty good about the situation, way better than I thought I would be doing at this point. I hadn't cried for at least a week and my thoughts of her make me smile about all the good times I got to share in her life. Even when I went into that vet I was feeling strong. The last time I was there was when we put her down so I was really surprised.

Then the lady at the desk asked me why I was there and I started crying. While she went to get the pooch's remains I got myself back together. Then she called us over. She handed me a bag with a handle. I couldn't really see what was inside but it looked like something wooden. She said she was so sorry for our loss and I started crying again.

But, with two unpredictable toddlers, sadness and tears don't always last very long. About two seconds into me holding the bag of the pooch's remains, Marcus pointed and said, "That's Mommy's snack."

Yes, he really said that. Seriously, how can you not laugh?? All the way across the parking lot he kept yelling, "Mommy! Eat snack!"

At home Greg and I examined what was in the bag. I was just expecting a bag with ashes in it. Inside the bag was a beautiful detailed wooden box. The ashes are inside of that. Greg and I are going to order a little plate to put on it with the pooch's name and birthday and the date she died on it. Not sure if this is totally appropriate to post but the box is so pretty that I took a picture. I am so happy to have the pooch back in my living room again.

1 Comments:
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Alethea said...

Of course it's appropriate to post - it's life! Your life, in fact and last time I checked this was your blog. So there!

Wow. Your vet is awesome. That box is beautiful. How perfect that such an amazing animal gets to end life in an interesting, intricate, compassionate piece of work. How lovely that when you think of her you'll always have something so wonderful to look upon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home