gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Happy 3rd Birthday Marcus!

Dear Marcus,

Today you turn three years old. On the day you were born, I had coffee with Amy and sat there completely oblivious that somewhere on this earth a little boy was taking his first breath who would change my life forever. I wish that I could tell the woman who was with you the day you were born all the things I know and love about you, just as I know she wishes that she could tell you just how much she loves you. I am very thankful that on this day I
can tell you all the things I know and love about you.

You love to laugh and make other people laugh. It is no accident that you were born on April Fools Day. You say the silliest things and make the funniest faces, sometimes without even knowing just how funny you are. When you get mad you can make some really ugly faces too. Sometimes you make ugly faces just so I will tell you that it scares me. Then you give me a hug and say, "No scared, Mommy. Hug all better."

You love to give hugs. Several times a day you will ask me for a hug or throw yourself on me to steal one. When you know you did something you weren't supposed to and I try to give you the cold shoulder to show you I am not pleased, you come up to me and say, "Hi Mommy," and give me a great big hug. You are so easy to forgive.

You are so eager to please those that love you. You try so hard to follow and enforce the rules although, because you are three, you also try to bend them sometimes too. You have been practicing your freewill more and more lately by shouting "No!" quite often when something is asked of you. However, you are very sensitive to other people's feelings and usually reconsider your answer when Daddy and me give you a stern look.

You are beginning to do things without being asked. Sometimes at the end of the day when Daddy and I announce that it is time to clean up your toys, we are surprised to find that you have already cleaned up all your toys! Often you get diapers when your brother needs changed or help empty out the dishwasher or put away laundry. You can pretty much dress yourself each day (only needing help with those pesky socks) and you are proud to show me each day what you can do. Then you always announce, "I did it!"

You love to do artwork. When I ask you what you want to do, you almost always say artwork. You love to color with markers and glue and stick stickers on things. I have gotten brave and let you paint the past two days and you most certainly love that too. When artwork time is over, you love doing puzzles and will do the same one over and over until you get it just right with no help at all. Watching TV is also a big part of your world. I let you watch too much TV. It is hard to say what your favorite show is but the top contenders are Curious George, Little Einsteins, Go Diego Go, and Backyardigans. When I suggest that we try a new activity you jump at the chance. You love to explore and discover and learn and be challenged through new things.

You love playing pretend. I have to be careful when driving you around because I never know when you might shout out that there is a waterfall ahead and before I realize it, I inevitable drive over it. Bear has become a real live member of our family. You tell me how Bear needs his hear brushed, teeth brushed, hands washed, to use the potty, wants to watch TV, or is ready to dance the Hokey Pokey. Rocks can now become a cookie, a sticks can be a spoon, and a rolled up paper towel can be a flashlight.

You love being loud. You love running and rolling and spinning and running some more. While you are moving, you are loud. You have a lot to say and you say it loudly and when you don't having anything to say, you sing or just yell nonsense words. Although, most people who just meet you would say you are shy. You seek security in me and tend to keep away from other people until you are really ready. And when you are ready, you are loud.

You love your little brother. He is your best playmate and even when you are around your other friends, you look for Will to play with. You give him hugs and when he gets hurt, you are the first to check on him to see if he is okay. You are also in constant competition with him, and normally Will doesn't even know that he is in the competition. You fight with Will to be first in everything - getting your hands washed, getting to a toy first, and finishing your dinner first.

You love to eat. Some of your favorite foods are mac 'n cheese, soup, and coleslaw. You are not a big fan of meat but you gobble up your veggies. Often times people must think I don't feed you because come snack time, you can out eat anyone I know. Daddy and I insist that you at least try one bite of everything we offer you for meals and you always give it a try without a fuss. Oh, and you LOVE cake.

You love getting horsey rides and lots of tickles from your daddy. You love playing tug with Maya and invite in her endless kisses.

You love showing off everything you know. When you see letters you like to tell people what they are. You like to name the colors of all the objects around you. You can count to ten, most of the time. You love to name animals you see on TV or in books and sometimes they are animals that I don't even know the names of. You love learning new words. You talk in paragraphs now but still tend to leave out the little words. Although your sentences are not necessarily complete, your vocabulary amazes me. If I can't understand what you are saying I watch you think really hard to figure out a different way to tell me what you are trying to say. Sometimes you act out what you are trying to say with very dramatic sounds and motions.

You love me very much. You love being with me, cuddling with me, hugging me, and helping me. You ask me to hold you and carry you all the time. You ask me sometimes to play "Baby Marcus" with you where I rock you like a baby and give you little baby snuggles and kisses while wrapped up in my arms. Now that you are three, this is one of my favorite games. I know that the days of you actually being my baby are fading away. You will be heading to preschool in a few months and making new friends and probably starting sports soon and other activities that won't always involve me. Even though you are growing up and everyday you are learning and maturing and becoming more independent, you will still always be my Baby Marcus. Wherever life takes you, whoever you meet, whatever you face, you can always be sure that no matter how many birthdays you have, you can always ask for hugs, cry in my arms about whatever injustices you feel life has handed you, or just laugh the day away and make silly faces with me. My wish for you is to never stop loving life as much as you love it now.

Happy 3rd birthday Marcus!

Love,
Mommy

1 Comments:
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Aw, how sweet. Happy Birthday Marcus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home