gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Atypical 24 Hours

The weather yesterday was PERFECT. It was sunny and in the low 70's. We hit up playgroup in the morning and then off to story time just before lunch. After nap I was really looking forward to enjoying the sunshine with the boys. But instead, I got to spend the evening at MedExpress.

As I mentioned in my last post, Marcus had a pretty high fever on Monday that went down with Tylenol. He was slow to get moving on Tuesday but was fine by Tuesday evening, running and playing and being his normal self. Then he started coughing early Wednesday morning and never stopped. By the time Greg got home from work on Wednesday, Marcus was in tears because he could barely catch his breath and I was in tears because he was so miserable and I couldn't do anything about it. So, I did the only thing I could do and packed him into the car and headed to MedExpress. (MedExpress is like a walk-in doctor's office in case you don't know.) Apparently everyone else in town needed express medical attention too because the place was packed. We ended up being there for two hours. Two hours of anything with a toddler is too much, and definitely too much when it involves waiting and being sick at the same time. I'm just glad I thought to grab some snacks and a book as we ran out the door.

After the two hours were up, Marcus was diagnosed with a double ear infection, had received his first x-ray (of his chest, and he smiled when they took the "picture"), received a breathing treatment, and had one doctor say he had a touch of pneumonia and another doctor say she wasn't sure it was pneumonia. After all that, still had to head across the street to get a prescription filled. I opted to send Greg back out to pick it up when they told me I was going to need to wait 30 minutes. Yeah, we had waited long enough. I decided that I really need to start thinking faster with adoption related questions in front of my kids since they are starting to really understand stuff. The nurse asked about Marcus's medical history and I stumbled over my words and said something like, "Oh, he's adopted." I am sure it was fine this time around, but I didn't want it to sound like that was some sort of ailment or problem. I probably should have just said, "It's unknown."

Marcus is doing somewhat better. He was really slow getting up this morning and getting up after nap and did a lot of hanging out on the couch. I could definitely tell the meds were starting to work by this evening and his cough is a hundred times better.

So what do you do when your kid had pneumonia? I'll tell you what I did today. I packed him into the car along with Will and Maya and we went to the vet. Yep, I am totally crazy. I felt completely calm during our trip out today but I felt all these people staring at me and thinking, "Wow, that lady is crazy." Hmm... yeah... two two year olds (one with pneumonia and the other with a cough) and a three month old puppy for one person to handle while at the vet is pretty insane, even for me. Sometimes you just got to do what you got to do, particularly when other childcare options aren't available. Really, all was well. Maya happy peed several times because people are just so exciting. Will whimpered in the waiting room and cried in the exam room. No way of really knowing why but I am guessing he thought that HE had to see the doctor. Maya apparently doesn't like the vet too much and spent the entire time with her face buried in my neck, which was just too cute. According to the scale in the waiting room, Maya now weighs 25 lbs, up 9 lbs in four weeks. Marcus clocked in at 32 lbs and Will weighed 28 lbs. I stayed far far away from that scale. Extra precautions were taken and Maya didn't have a reaction to the vaccine like last time. However, instead of giving her the combo vaccine, they are splitting it up into three different shots so lucky me, I get to take her back again in two weeks for round 2 of 3.

To conclude this 24 hour period summed up in this entry, I gave a call to the county court house to find out what needs to be done to finally do the very last part of the adoption. We don't actually have to do it but we would like to get US Birth Certificates for the kids and we have just put this off way too long. We actually almost had the process done but then we moved out of the county and I have to do everything through our new county office. It all seems simple enough. I just have to pick up the forms from the court house and get some stuff together. I would love to get everything picked up tomorrow so we can get to work and get it over with, but I am thinking we could all use a day to just lounge around the house in our pj's.

1 Comments:
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope Marcus is back to himself soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home