gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Friday, February 20, 2009

Never a Dull Moment

I know, I just posted about how I probably wouldn't get a chance to post much and here it is only a couple hours later. I am just having one of those rare moments where the kids are "napping" and Maya is passed out in a drug induced nap on my lap. Why is my pup on drugs? Because there is never a dull moment around here.

Maya had a vet appointment this morning around 10:00 and my mom came over to play with the kids so I didn't have to figure out how to get a puppy and two toddlers through a visit to the vet's. By about 10:20 Maya had been weighed (gained over 5 lbs in the past 2 weeks), had a shot, and we were paying for the services at the front desk. It took us about 10-15 minutes to get home. My mom and I were chatting a little bit and the kids were playing with Maya. My mom was about to go and I took Maya outside to do her business real quick. While she was heading in, I noticed her eyes looked kinda funny - really pink around the eyelids and puffed up. My mom got a phone call and before she was off, I was getting my coat and shoes back on to run out the door. In the matter of minutes, Maya's entire face swelled up. The area around her eyes was so swollen she couldn't open her eyes and her lips (if dogs have lips) were puffing out the side of her head. Thank goodness my mom was still here!

I made it to the vet's in about 5 minutes, ran in the door, and practically pushed the woman aside who was trying to pay her bill at the desk. It had only been about 30 minutes since we were there the first time. The technician saw Maya and yelled for a doctor and then said something along the lines of, "The poor thing looks ridiculous!" Had I not been close to panicking, I would have thought so too. After a really quick check of vitals, they shot her up with some sort of allergy meds straight into her veins. She didn't appear to have any other reactions but they asked me to stay for a bit to make sure. We went to another room where Maya hung out on my lap and I snapped this picture with my phone.


All is well again. We are back home. The swelling as gone down enough that she can open her eyes again. I am calm enough to recognize how completely ridiculous she really does look. Now she is just sleepy. Me too.

4 Comments:
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Cara said...

um, that's nuts! glad she's ok! love the beer cases below!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Oh no! A reaction to a vaccine I assume? Poor girl. She sure does look silly all puffed up like that though.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Jill said...

OMG! our vet gives our dog "Benadryl" with every shot since we have a dog who is sensitive to everything. Thank GOD you noticed and got her there right away! Sheesh...now take a rest... and drink a couple of those beers.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Life with Pog & FLeC said...

Oh gosh! Thank God you noticed it when you did. Poor Maya... poor you! Ridiculous or not, she's still adorable!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home