gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, February 16, 2009

Quick Review

I keep thinking I need to blog about a number of subjects. But then time passes and I realize how long it would take me to properly blog about something and decide I just don't have the energy to do it. Here are a few things in the shortened version:

- After having that fabulous warm day last week, a cold front blew in. There were wind gusts Wednesday night over 90 mph in the area. Our power was out for 12 hours and there were several trees blown over in our neighborhood. In the midst of the storm, there were these horrible noises that to me sounded like a whole litter of puppies wrestling in the attic just above our bedroom. Turns out that the metal flashing that used to sit where the roof of our porch meets the roof of the house had come loose. Our porch runs the whole length of our house so this was A LOT of metal that was flapping in the wind. Pieces of it would bang on the roof and the wind would drag it across the roof, which is why it sounded like puppies were running around up there. One particularly large section was flipping over the side of our house like a really bad combover in the wind. Greg risked his life and went out there in the middle of the hurricane level winds and managed to catch this piece mid-flight and rip it from our roof. The removal of this piece really didn't help much. I can't even begin to explain just how loud this was. By morning the flashing was damaged over the entire length of our house but thankfully the worst of it was over the half where our bedroom is, not over the part where the kids' were sleeping. It would have been a much worse night if the kids had woken up and we had to deal with that too. Greg and I (and Maya, who was completely unphased by the noise) ended up sleeping in our (cold dark and void of electricity at that point in time) basement because it was just way too loud to sleep upstairs. Thursday we had some roofers check it out. They did a quick temporary fix (they were kinda busy checking out lots of damaged roofs that day) but we will have to get an estimate to see just how much it will cost to fix the flashing and all the damage the broken metal pieces banging off our roof caused. In the morning I was out in the yard trying to check things out the best I could from ground level. There were a bunch of pieces of siding in the yard and I thought that that was just one more thing that we would have to get fixed. It wasn't even our siding that was in our yard. No idea where that came from but considering how many houses I have seen in our neighborhood with missing siding after the wind storm, not surprising that some would end up in our yard.

- We finally got to meet Karla! I met Karla's mom Jennifer prior to them getting their referral and prior to us even telling people that we were planning on adopting a second child. We had a play date with Karla and Lola on Friday. I took my camera and really wanted to take some pictures of the kids but we were having too much fun playing and I forgot to get out the camera.

- The kids got haircuts on Saturday. Marcus has a new style, which is actually his old style that I decided to go back to. I took pictures but I'll have to post those some time when I feel like dealing with photos.

- We had an impromptu visit from my cousin, his wife, and their dog yesterday. My cousin was in town visiting my aunt (his mom) for the weekend. Maya was so excited to have another dog to play with. Their dog, Marley, wasn't too sure about the excited little puppy at first. Then she got into the mood to play. I took pictures but once again, don't have any of those uploaded yet. It was quite a sight watching our 10 lb puppy playing and jumping around with a 95 lb dog.

- Will is really into singing now, which is absolutely adorable. Marcus will sing a little (and through Will's peer pressure has been singing more) but it was never one of his things. Toddler singing is just the cutest, particularly funny when they don't know/can't pronounce most of the words. Favorite tunes of Will's are "Twinkle twinkle little star," and "Happy Birthday."

- I was asking Marcus some questions tonight about his dreams for the future. Marcus said that he plans on working at a job, is going to get married to a "big girl" with "purple hair", will have two babies (one boy and one girl), and live in a yellow house in the country. I asked him about pets but I didn't quite understand his answer so he may or may not have dogs, cats, pigs, and monkeys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home