gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Spring!

We had a wonderful weather day today. I felt revitalized because it was so warm. It felt more like late March instead of early February. I am sure part of the feeling of being revitalized was because I got 10 hours of sleep last night and I had been lagging behind in the sleep department lately.

This morning we headed out to a friend's house for a birthday party play date. There were 8 kids all together with their mommas ranging in age from 14 months to almost 3 years. (That was the age of the kids, not the mommas.) Everyone was well behaved. (Once again, referring to the kids, not the mommas.) We all enjoyed lunch together and the kids were just so cute sitting at the tables eating together.


I was happy to be able to keep my kids awake for the ride home in the car so they could get a good nap in their beds and I could get some "me" time. Maya woke up and I went outside for her to do her business (there have been ZERO accidents in the house today by my genius pup) and I realized how incredibly wonderful the weather was. Wow. Greg was working from home today so Maya and I took a short little hike through the woods. That was only her second time in the woods and she was a natural. I know for sure after today that this cute little pup is the perfect fit for our family. I felt like I was back - hiking through the woods, just me and my dog walking along beside me. I said a little silent thank you to Peyote for sending me such a wonderful friend. I had things that I needed to do when we got back but instead me and the pup hung out on the deck and I serenaded her.


I could hardly wait to get the boys up from nap so we could head out to play. I put some old pants on them, shoved their feet in their boots, and out the door we went to enjoy a February afternoon with no coats on. Marcus, Will, Maya, and I headed out to our garden area. The previous owners fenced in a small area for a garden. They didn't use it last summer and the weeds were so overgrown that you almost couldn't walk into the space. I would like to make a garden this summer but we will see if that happens. The kids played with the dog while I tugged at waist high weeds. We now have a garden almost ready for spring. Then we were off to the swing set and the playhouse. Maya was getting pretty tired by the time we headed over towards the wood shed so I sat on a log with her at my feet. I was watching Marcus and Will play with rocks and sticks in the dirt and I thought how glad I was to have such boyish boys playing in the dirt because that is so my style. Just then Marcus showed up with some pieces of bark, headed over to a rock embedded in the ground, and announced that the rock was his stove and the bark was the soup that he was cooking up. So much for me trying to stereotype my boys into all boy behavior.

We have some french drains in our yard that outlet near a tree, form a little little pond/puddle to help water the tree, and then the water flows back into another pipe. From all the snow melting and the rain, there was a pretty steady flow of water coming from the pipe. I let the kids mess around a little bit in the water and get all muddy. Maya wanted to be part of the action too. She was in the puddle, splashing around, and sticking her entire head up the pipe to get a face full of water. The way she was acting outside today - following us around, coming when we called, chasing sticks, playing in the water - it felt like we were with a reincarnated Peyote. I had to stop and think how old she was. Just 9 weeks! She didn't seem to be that young and it doesn't seem like she has just been with our family for a little over a week. She is the perfect fit for us.

Eventually we had to head inside though to get some dinner. Maya crashed.

Our neighbor dropped by and asked where she was. She is usually so happy to greet anyone but she didn't even know he was here. We tried to feed her dinner but she was too tired for that. This evening I was trying to get the kids ready for bath. I had on a long sleeved shirt and under it I was wearing a t-shirt. I took off the long sleeved shirt and threw it out of the kids' room into the hallway so I wouldn't get my sleeves wet during their bath. When I walked out of their room I discovered just where it landed.


With a little help from Greg, Maya got out of the shirt and promptly went right back to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home