gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Friday, January 30, 2009

A Day at the Beach

How about this weather? I feel some sort of obligation to write a post about the weather since it has been snowy for the past few days. You just got to love the fact that Western PA always has this kind of weather every single year and yet every single year everyone is going on about how it is cold and snowy like it is some big surprise. My only complaint about this weather currently is that experiencing it with two two year olds is a new thing, and it sucks. It sucked last year with two one year olds but not nearly as much as it does now. They were far more content to stay indoors last year and didn't need nearly as much room to run and weren't nearly as creative in their ways to drive me crazy.

Greg usually works from home on Wednesday but he decided to go into the office since he worked from home on Tuesday due to weather. We had an ice storm roll through though. He couldn't get out of the driveway and when he tried to back down the driveway, he got stuck. So, Greg worked from home and we were all temporarily stuck because I couldn't get my car out around his. All morning long Marcus kept asking to look out the window and going on and on about "Dada car stuck driveway," just in case I had forgotten. We were able to get Greg unstuck later in the day. That day we had the most disastrous nap time in Will's history. Thankfully I have the most awesome husband in the world and when I mentioned that I needed to get out and take a walk alone after dinner, he said that he would do all the dishes and cleanup and I should just go as soon as I was done eating. I bundled up in all my snow gear and took the most marvelously glorious walk in the snow through our woods. Then I had to come back. Marcus spent more of the evening in time out than he did out of time out.

Yesterday I was determined to not be in the house as much as possible. Greg made it into the office and we headed to the library. After another disastrous nap, I took the kids outside to play. I was hoping to do some sled riding. I took a quick run down the hill to check out the conditions first. And it was a really quick run. We had a couple inches of snow and then a good layer of ice, all topped off with another inch or two of snow. Basically it was like sledding on a sheet of ice. Some neighborhood kids stopped over to see if they could sled on our hill (because we have the most awesome sledding hill ever) and they were going so fast they had to bale so they didn't wreck into our wood shed. So instead of sledding, we got out our beach shovels and buckets and built snow castles. It was almost like being at the beach! Only a little colder and not so much ocean.

We went out to do some errands this morning and came out to find ourselves stuck in a blizzard. We did a little slipping and sliding on the way home and I stopped to check on a woman who was stopped in the middle of a normally busy road. (She said she couldn't make it up the hill and was going to try to turn around.) My "street" is just a driveway shared by us and the only other house on our "street". Someone was parked at the top who was visiting our neighbors. I had to kick it into four wheel drive and drive partly in my neighbor's yard to get around them. When I looked out later they were trying to shovel their car out. The next time I looked out, it was snowing so hard I couldn't even see a few feet out the window and certainly couldn't see the car. The snow let up and I took and look to find their car was sideways blocking the entire street/driveway. I didn't have anywhere to go but still didn't like the idea that I couldn't go anywhere if I needed to. A couple hours later I looked again and they had gotten the car out.

My kids are insane, tired of being stuck inside. They are driving me insane. Nap time has been insane and most certainly not restful for them nor relaxing for me. And I have a feeling that things are going to get far more insane around here before they get better. Someone remind me that winter will end! You know it is bad when I have started to feel sympathy for Jack Nicholson's character in The Shining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home