gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Divine Secrets of the Girls Weekend



I feel so fresh and rejuvenated! I just had an incredible weekend with some girls. Eight of us planned this weekend getaway to a cabin in the woods months ago and none of us could believe that the time had finally arrived. I left pretty early on Friday morning to drive one carload of girls and didn't get back until this afternoon. There were no diapers, no bedtimes, no trying to get kids to listen, no husbands, and no one to be responsible for except ourselves. Bliss! We pretty much wasted the first 24 hours away by interjecting every 10 minutes, "I'm having so much fun!" It was the first time ever I took a trip with a group of girls. It was something I always hoped to do but just never had a group of girls that I would want to spend an entire weekend with until now. We ate lots of really yummy food, drank a few drinks, knitted, hiked, toasted marshmallows around an open fire, slept in bunk beds (at least I did, on the top bunk, woohoo!!), watched girlie movies, and laughed so hard that we cried. I can't go into too great of details because you know how it goes... what happens in the cabin in the woods, stays at the cabin in the woods. One of the highlights of my weekend personally was when I woke up this morning and looked at the clock. It was 9:28. That is easily the latest I have slept in the past 3 years, probably more like the past 5 years. As far as I could tell, none of us got on each other's nerves the whole weekend and I am happy to report that at least most of the girls were blown away by my fireside rendition of the theme from the show "Golden Girls". Someone, who shall remain nameless, insisted that we watch the movie version of "Mama Mia". I initially swore everyone to secrecy because after my mom hounded me for months to watch that movie with her, I decided I would never watch it out of spite. About 20 minutes into the movie I couldn't wait to tell my mom that we attempted to watch her beloved movie but we were all so thoroughly disappointed that we turned it off!! And this is just one of the reason I love these girls: they don't like sucky movies! The weekend excitement kind of came to a grinding halt when a few of the ladies started to pass around a stomach bug beginning Saturday night. So far I am pretty sure I managed to escape virus free but my heart goes out to those of you that fell victim. I am pretty sure we are planning to make our girls weekend an annual thing so hopefully we can make up for some of this year's issues in the future.

Greg survived well at home, despite a few injuries. Will managed to climb out of his crib and it sounded like he landed headfirst. He was scared more than anything and has not attempted a repeat performance. Hopefully it stays that way because he really needs to be contained when he isn't being completely supervised. Marcus required a bandaid as a result of wrestling with Maya, and losing. Marcus, Will, and Greg only seemed mildly excited about my return. Maya was beside herself with joy. Even though I had a great time doing secret things in the woods, I am glad to be back with the family... and showered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home