gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Day 1

Woke up today thinking that this was the first day of the rest of my life. Yeah, probably a little over dramatic. It was the first day of Marcus's preschool, which means that from now on, we will be a family that has a school routine.



Of course, I was a ball of emotions. I thought that I was supposed to be sad that my little boy is growing up but I really haven't felt much sadness over this. Mostly, I am just excited. He will be learning so many new things and meeting so many new people. He could use a little boost into the world of socially interacting with his peers and not depending on me all the time. Plus, for the first time ever, it will give me a chance to spend some time alone with Will.



Greg took the day off from work today to check out Marcus's school. We were up and dressed about an hour before we needed to head out and had settled in for cartoons. That is when I felt the first of the tears coming on. Marcus didn't want to watch cartoons. He was so excited about school he just wanted to know if it was time to go yet. I was worried that my kid would be the kid in the class that is clinging to his mom's leg when it is time to go or else I would be dragging him out the door to get to preschool. Nope. He was all for it. When we arrived he put his backpack on and walked from the car into his room without even holding my hand.



Today was orientation and Thursday is his first real day. It was more like a practice day. We arrived and played in the room a bit. We got to meet his teacher who I actually know. (I played softball with her daughter. His teacher lives in our neighborhood and I passed her and her husband walking last night when I was out walking the pup.) After a little meeting to get to know his teachers, it was time to leave the kids behind for a few minutes. I waited for the panic to pass so I could deliver the news to Marcus. I bent down, took a deep breath and said, "Mommy and Daddy..." Then I had to stop, take another deep breath, "...have to leave for a few minutes. You can stay here and play with the toys and we will be right back." He looked a little worried and then gave us both kisses. We left without looking back. I sneaked a little peak through the window after we walked out and saw him standing there with his typical blank face (see most pictures of him for an example) holding the hand of one of his teachers.



After attending a little meeting that just reviewed policies and things we should know about the preschool, we headed back to the room. I saw him through the window completely engaged in cooking up some pretend food. He was so involved that Greg and I stood a few feet from him for a few minutes and he didn't even know we were back. When I called to him, he smiled real big and said, "Mommy! You back!" Then he went right back to playing. Then he didn't want to leave.



To say I am proud of my little boy is an understatement. As usual, he continues to amaze me every day and remind me most all of the worries I have about raising my kids end up being a waste of time. I have told Marcus several times this week how much I bet his birth family would be proud of him too. I will never know of all the dreams they have for him, but my guess is that one of their dreams is that he gets to go to school and have a good education. Most of my sadness today comes from the fact that his birth family didn't get to share his joy with him today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home