gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Medical Professionals

This week we added two new medical professionals to our list of... hmm... not sure what list that would be. But the point is, our family has two new doctors. This is something that I meant to do back about a year ago when we moved out of Pittsburgh but I never did. So instead, for this past year I have been driving myself and my kids way too far to see people in the medical profession when I could have been visiting very qualified individuals just a few miles away.

First up, Will was overdue for his 30 month checkup. (He is currently 32 months.) I shunned any recommendations and instead decided to go with the division of our previous pediatrician that was closest to us. The office has totally different doctors though so I really had no idea what I was getting into. All I can say is, what an awesome office and doctor. Every wall of the office was covered with fun kid friendly murals. They had separate waiting rooms for sick kids and well kids. I had heard that there were places like that but thought it was just a myth. The staff was all so friendly and just great. Typically taking Will to the doctor involves him screaming from the minute we get there until the minute we leave. He never even let out a whimper. Instead, his new doctor had him belly laughing. The doctor even stroked my ego by telling me how smart Will is when I was answering his developmental questions. Will did need to get a shot but the nurse had him so distracted that all he said was, "Ow ow!" Then he showed off his band-aid all day long.

Medically, Will is just fine. I think the word the doctor used was "perfect". He is 36.5 inches tall (50th percentile) and weighs 29 lbs (25th percentile). The doctor was quite amazed at how tall he is since typically Guatemalan kids come in closer to the 25th percentile for height. I was a bit concerned about his weight (up only 3 lbs in 8 months) and the fact that every single meal is a horrendous struggle. The doctor didn't seem too concerned but suggested that we add a Pediasure a day to his diet so at least we know he is getting the nutrients that he needs.

Today it was time to head off to a new dentist for me. I had no good leads since hardly any offices around here take the dental insurance that we have. I went out on a limb and picked an office blindly off our insurance company's website. I went in pretty skeptical. Until I was 23-ish, I went to the same dentist who was a family friend. Going to the dentist was actually fun. (I got out of school for some time and my mom usually treated us to Pizza Hut afterward!) He retired though. I started going to a dentist recommended by a (ex)friend in Pittsburgh. I didn't know it until my first visit, but that dentist frequently played golf with my previous dentist and instantly it was like the new dentist was a family friend as well. The drive was just silly to make for me, even biannually, particularly since I have never had any issues with my teeth.

So, off to a new dentist today. He was awesome. The dental hygienist and I chatted it up, as much as I could chat while she had her fingers in my mouth. The dentist took to my sense of humor right away. I ended up spending more time there than I had planned since one of my only two cavities that I have had gotten old and needed replaced. Normally he would have had me come back but he had an opening so I just stayed, he numbed me up, and 20 minutes later I was out the door.

Score: 2 for 2 for medical professionals this week! Go team!

(I went to the fair again today shortly after my dentist appointment. I was eating lunch and somehow forgot that half my face was numb. All was well though. Then I took a drink of some orange pop (or orange soda for all of you who don't live in this part of the world). Still all was fine. Somehow when I went to swallow though the pressure in my mouth changed and my numbed lips just couldn't stay together. Orange pop when shooting out of my mouth, all over my lap, and all over the table. It was a proud moment.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home