gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Doing a Happy Dance

Come on everyone! Join me in a happy dance! Look foolish! Be silly! I promise it is for a good cause!

First, our Home Study should be done today! This is HUGE! DeNese, our social worker, sent us the rough draft last night for review. Today it was sent to the agency for them to review. They will overnight a copy to USCIS and also send us several copies. What's the big deal? This is the last thing that USCIS needs to process our I-600A and approve us to adopt internationally. Once we get approval to adopt internationally, we will be matched with our son!! The unfortunate part is that this can take 6-8 weeks. The USCIS claims that if you don't hear back from them in 3 weeks that you should contact them. I have every intent at 3 weeks and 1 day to be on the phone. In fact, I think USCIS needs to be added to my speed dial.

Second, Greg and I were rather depressed last week. We didn't realize a few steps involved with getting our FBI Clearances. We should have had these done first thing, but instead waited until almost last. When we found out that it takes 6-8 weeks for this go get back, we were just heart broken that things would never progress. Yesterday I opened the mailbox with my fingers crossed that the new CD I ordered was in there. No CD but no worries. Instead was a giant envelope containing our FBI Clearances!! We got it back in a week and a half! I was so excited I almost ran over the mailbox with my car prior to doing a happy dance (and scaring the dog) all around the house.

Tonight I am getting the final documents notarized. As soon as we get our copies of the home study, we will be sending all our documents to get state certified and then authenticated by the Guatemalan Consulate in New York City. (Someone we met at the parenting seminar pointed us to two courier services to take care of this for us which should really expedite the process.) All the certification/authentification can be taking place while we wait ever so patiently (that was sarcasm in case you missed it) for the USCIS to approve us for international adoption.

Over the weekend Greg and I were in Toys R Us picking out a birthday present for our niece. I forced him into the infant section. We were both a little scared at first looking at the bizarre devices that claimed they are "must haves". Then we started getting excited. I cant speak for Greg, but I cant wait to start shopping! I convinced Greg to stop at a high-end baby store on the way home to laugh at all the outrageous prices. Greg and I agreed that our son can spit up and poo all over bedding and clothes from Target just as easily. We'll let the grandparents spoil him with the expensive stuff :)


--Annie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home