gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Just Starting to Wait

It's been a little while since I wrote anything on here. We abrutly went from being so overwhelmed with collecting paperwork, getting things notarized, getting fingerprinted, sending things to various agencies, and stalking our mailbox, to just waiting. At this point there really isnt anything that we can do.

We got our POA (Power of Attorny) completed. It is a form that states that a particular attorny will act on our behalf throughout the adoption process in Guatemala. Now we wait. The next thing to be accomplished is for the US Embassy to authorize the DNA test. I dont know how long that typically takes to happen.

We have still been keeping busy though, just indirectly adoption related. Our HUGE garage sale is this Saturday. We are totally overwhelmed by the amount of generosity that has been showered on us by our friends and family. We have so many donations to sell. If you are in the area, please stop by. I gaurantee we have something you could use since we have just about everything - clothes, books, holiday things, kitchen supplies, toys, bikes, exercise equipment, sporting goods, linens, house decorations, electronics, computers, air conditioning unit... Many of the things that people have given us to sell are still in their original boxes, never even opened or used. We have been so busy organizing and pricing items that we have been avoiding the realization that we arent going to sell everything and we are going to have to get rid of what is left. Of course, that wont be nearly as big of a task if everyone comes and buys things!

If you cant make it, remember you can still donate on our website or play our name game to help lighten the financial burden of adoption. We are keeping the name under wraps until we sell all 50 squares so it is up to you when you get the news on that one!

Just a couple random thoughts:

I find the reactions of people quite interesting when I tell them we are adopting a little boy from Guatemala. I am just now starting to really tell people at work and because these are people that I dont always share my personal life with, their reactions are a little more guarded. I always chuckle watching them stumble over what to say. I know they want to ask questions but often they seem afraid of what is appropriate or what is politically correct. I got the question, "Is he from around here?" which I knew really meant, "Where is he from?" On the other side, I got the blunt question, "Why did you decide to do that?" I am learning quickly who is genuinely curious and who is trying to pass judgement. Fortunately, those who are trying to pass judgement are few and far between.

People make the assumption that now that we have a picture of our son, that I must sit and stare at it all the time. I really dont. I dont necessarily avoid looking at it, but I dont dedicate long periods of time every day looking either. Partly because I know that picture was taken at 2 weeks old and he is now almost 8 weeks old. He probably doesnt even look much like that anymore. Mostly though, it is because it will only make me sad, wanting to hold him and feel his skin against mine, and knowing that it will be so long until I get to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home