gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, October 08, 2007

My Own Space

When Greg and I first bought our house, we were both living in apartments. We couldn't get over how much room we had! Greg moved in first and the only furniture in the house was game room furniture and bedroom furniture. When I moved in I brought with me a bedroom set, a couch, and a dog. I remember one of the first few weeks I was in the house I commented how exciting it was to go down our stairs and there was even more house! Three and a half years later, one kid, and one other kid knocking at the door, this place is busting at its seams.

We have plans that Marcus and William will share a bedroom but we want William to get settled first. Marcus is a champion sleeper (keeping fingers crossed) and we know it is going to take William a little while to get used to us, our house, our routine, and his new bed. For the time being his crib is in our "office". Greg's computer is taking over the living room and I have moved on to using a laptop (which is still not functioning by the way). My desk is still in the office and my sewing machine has found a place there.

Tonight we were discussing moving the glider into the office since the only rocking we do with Marcus is when we read stories before bed. It is more likely that William will need some midnight rocking so the glider should probably be closer to him. This means, no more sewing desk for me. I did some measuring and figuring and announced to Greg that whether he likes it or not, my desk and my sewing machine are finding a new home in the laundry room.

Finally a space of my own. I had already claimed the bathroom that connects to the laundry room as my own when I went back to work so my 5:30 am hair drying wouldn't disturb Marcus. I am branching outward and the laundry room will be mine too. How ridiculously domesticated am I becoming?? So step aside! It is my place to do my hair, wash my clothes, sew, and iron... ALL MINE!! Don't even think about touching that pocket door that will separate my little old self that my grandmothers would be proud of with the real world.

Before the big move of the sewing supplies though, we are going to do a little painting. Purple paint actually. Light purple since it is a woman's domain. (And this is all coming from the girl who prefers action films, jeans and ball caps, and can't remember the last time she painted her fingernails.)


In a completely unrelated subject, Happy Columbus Day! One advantage for working for the government is that I got the day off. Greg got it off too as well as Amanda and her husband. The four of us (plus Marcus and our combined total of three dogs) had our annual Columbus Day celebration. (The dog's weren't invited in the past and Marcus wasn't around last year.) Since we had a toddler in tow and Amanda has a big ol' pregnant belly hanging around, we skipped hiking and house touring like we have done in the past. Instead we settled for some Nintendo Wii playing. What great fun! Thanks guys for having us over and letting us play with your toys. I never realized how tiring swinging your arms around senselessly would be.

During the course of the day Amanda let me feel her pregnant belly and I got to feel her daughter kicking and punching. It was probably the weirdest thing ever. I screamed in disgust. (This by no means should be interpreted as me saying Amanda's baby is disgusting, just that Amanda's baby moving is disgusting... and creepy.) I am so glad we decided to adopt because that would seriously freak me out.

2 Comments:
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Cara said...

that's awesome about your own space! the purple color will be a perfect way to make it your own :)

sounds like you guys had a fun day too! i agree the kicking feeling is very very strange... but amazing too! it's cool you got to experience it :)

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Your reaction to the sproggy kick was priceless. You would have thought you had been bitten!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home