gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Are they brothers?

We have been spending just about every available minute outside these past few days - or at least that is Marcus's intention. From the moment he gets out of bed until the moment he goes back to bed, if he is not outside he is pointing outside and saying, "Outside!"

On Sunday we headed to a double birthday party. Our friend Melissa's son Grant was turning 2 and Sophia was turning 1. Sophia just came home from Guatemala around Easter and we hadn't got a chance to meet her yet. What a little cutie! We had a great time eating cookies and cupcakes and watching Marcus run in circles. While Marcus did laps, I watched while chatting with a friend of mine for quite a bit. Will was sitting on a riding toy beside me, just hanging out like usual. He is so laidback sometimes that I am afraid I am going to forget about him!

Monday we headed off to a nearby park in the morning. The playground equipment there is made for much bigger kids. We took a couple balls with us though and the kids ran around the basketball courts playing. After their afternoon nap we headed out to the backyard as was demanded by Marcus.

Yesterday we went to visit my parents during the day. My dad headed off to the dentist and my mom, the kids, and I went to a park not to far from their house. There was lots of room there to run and lots of swings and slides. Marcus has currently decided that he is terrified of swings so he was having none of that. Will got on the swings and just laughed and laughed. Will even went down a slide all by himself! We were the only ones in the park for a little bit but then another grandmother showed up with her grandson. Her grandson was only about 2 months younger than Marcus. She and I started talking and it was then that I finally got the question that all the adoption articles said that I would get. "Are they brothers?" So I gave her the only answer that made sense. "Yes." Who knows if her reason to ask had anything to do with the kids being so close in age and not looking anything alike, but it didn't really matter why she was asking. The answer would have been the same. Marcus and Will have the same parents so that makes them brothers. The woman and I continued talking and I soon discovered that her daughter (who was the mother of the boy she was at the park with) was a friend of mine in high school! We were decently good friends, roomed on a band trip once and used to go bowling with some other people all the time. She graduated a year ahead of me and I haven't heard from her since, but there I was hanging out with her mom and son.

After we left the park, we went back to my parents for lunch. Then we played in the yard before taking a little walk. When we got back to our house we had dinner and then were back outside again. As much as I love the great outdoors, I was happy to sit on the couch INSIDE for a bit last night after the kids were in bed.

The language skills of my kids has been cracking me up. I am continually amazed at how much Marcus is able to communicate with his limited vocabulary. Will's favorite thing (apart from repeating "oh no" over and over and over and saying "hi" and "bye-bye" to everyone) is answering yes and no questions. He almost always answers them with answer that is opposite from what I would expect. This is a typical conversation with him.

Me: Did you have fun at the party yesterday?
Will: No.
Me: Did you have fun at the park?
Will: No.
Me: Do you want to go there again sometime?
Will: No.
Me: Do you want to go to timeout?
Will: Yes.
Me: You are sure you want to sit in timeout?
Will: Yes.

2 Comments:
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Too funny, I just wrote a post about how much A loves the slide. The swing-- forget it. I love listening to Will say HI!

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Of course they are brothers! Because your kids are exactally like my dogs, I have to tell you that I get asked if Bella and Mo are siblings all the time too. But I answer that they are not related. They are dogs. They don't know what I am talking about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home