gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good
There are definitely some really good things about having two boys so close in age. Today I stopped in Target looking for snack cups with handles (which they didn't have) and walked out feeling like I robbed the place. I picked up a few things from the dollar bins and then headed back to the kids section. That is when I saw the clearance sign. I had to stop just in case there was something there that my kids NEEDED. When I saw the price tags on these clearance items, I decided they needed one of everything. How could I pass up shirts that were 94 cents?? I dropped the cashier a 20 and walked out of there with 11 shirts and 2 pairs of shorts. Just about everything is in sizes larger than my kids are wearing. I have absolutely no fear of buying bigger sizes for future seasons because I know that at least one kid in this household will be wearing that size during the appropriate season. And hey, if they aren't, I only wasted 94 cents.

The Bad

I suddenly realized the other day that after months of complaining about all the whining and temper tantrums that have been going on in this house, there really isn't much whining going on and even the temper tantrums are starting to subside. The bad part is that - as any mother will tell you - as one phase ends with kids, another begins. Now we have teasing and hair pulling and bullying and toy thievery and pushing and we also have...

The Ugly
Will is a biter. This isn't really a surprise considering when I brought him home from Guatemala, I was sporting a scabby bruised area on my arm that still vaguely resembled the alignment of the eight teeth he had at the time. Since then he has nibbled on Greg a time or two but nothing that left any marks. That was until Sunday. The kids were hanging out, playing, laughing, and then Marcus let out a huge scream. I looked up to find Will's jaws locked onto Marcus's back. This is no nibble but the result of a wide mouth full on latch. It wasn't even an aggressive situation. They were playing and suddenly Will must have got hungry for Marcus back. Then again today, Marcus was leaning up against the couch talking to me and Will walked right up and latched onto his back again. Someone today said that at least my kid isn't biting strangers. I actually think I would prefer that. Then I would just have a kid who bites. Instead I have a kid who bites and another kid who has bruises in the shape of mouths on his back. In his defense, Will does have four teeth coming in at the moment but I can think of tons of other things he can chomp other than his brother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home