gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, October 27, 2008

The World According to Will

I sometimes feel like Will doesn't get the spotlight on my blog all that often. He just isn't as demanding of attention as certain other people in this household are and he is generally happy to just go with the flow. He doesn't feel the need to be on center stage and is happy to let other people take that role. It doesn't help matters that he is in that 18-24 month age range either where the typical toddler behavior isn't really something I want to be reliving on my blog. Plus, he is the second child. So sad that this is true but once you have been through it with kid #1, when the second kid does something it doesn't really seem all that new and exciting.

Will is my social butterfly. He makes friends so easily and is quick to buddy up to almost anyone who wants to play. He still says hello to everyone while we shop. (On Friday he said hello to someone and when I turned to see who it was, it ended up being my cousin.) He tends to eye people up if they make first contact though.

Despite the fact that he is very outgoing socially, he tends to be cautious when it comes to doing new things. If you ask him if he wants to try a new activity he will back away and say, "No." Once he gets his mind made up about something, there is no chance he is going to change it either. Even if he sees other kids enjoying the new activity, he has already decided to be against it and that is that.

I have no idea what kind of things he is into. He doesn't really show any more interest towards one thing than he does another. Will does show a lot of athletic ability though. He can throw and catch a ball, dribble a ball, loves to kick, and is always interested in running around with Greg's football. Tackling Marcus also is great fun. Once he decides to try something, he has to master it. He gets his mind set on something and just does it nonstop until he really gets it.

And boy can that kid dance! He does this hysterical dance move where he kicks his leg out. A little bit of music comes on and he is dancing and bopping to the beat.

He has great manners, as I mentioned before. He is starting to say, "Excuse me," when he toots now instead of, "Whoa." He almost always says, "Thank you." I haven't really pushed "please" because he went through a long phase of screaming, "PLEEEASSSEEE!!!" anytime he thought he should get something he wanted. Every time I sneeze he say, "Bless you, Mommy." I don't have a clue where he learned that one.

He has gone poopy on the potty a couple times now. It is all because we have tricked him into it. We have noticed him starting to go and we run him to the bathroom and sit him there. He has been asking to go to the potty a lot and we have been curbing his enthusiasm for it because I am just not ready for it. I don't think that his bladder is mature enough for it either. We put him on the potty every night before bath and he hasn't figured out what he is really supposed to be doing while he is sitting there.

He is quite the daddy's boy. Always has been. Even his foster family told us that he was pleasant all day for his foster mom but when his foster father would come home, he would just go crazy with excitement. That is about how it is here. He just thinks Greg is the best. Greg is pretty awesome so I really can't blame him.

He has never been too big of a cuddlier, just too busy being on the move. He will sit and hang out for a minute but then he is off to do something else. He is all into giving me hugs the last few days. I am loving it of course. Tonight I was putting some lotion on him after bath and he basically shoved my hands away just so he could snuggle up to me and give me a hug.

Will is currently going through an identity crisis. Many people will tell you that they just don't know who they are. Will really doesn't know. He calls Marcus Will most of the time. Sometimes he will call himself Will and then point to Marcus and call him Will too. He often asks, "Where Will go?" I am pretty much at a loss on how to answer that one, because if he doesn't know where he is, how am I to know?

That kid has still got that killer smile with that little dimple and a laugh that is utterly contagious. I just can't stop tickling that kid because his laughter makes me so happy. Sure, there are times when he does make me feel anger or frustration, but every minute of every day he makes me feel love. You just can't beat that.

1 Comments:
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

I heart Will. I think it is his smile. I am a sucker for a smile like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home