gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

First Harvest and Family

Over the weekend I started to collect a couple things from my garden. My first of far too many zucchini was suddenly ready to be picked. I looked at it Friday and it was still in the beginning growing stages like all the others. Then a day later it must have tripled in size and I knew I needed to rip that sucker out. It has been sitting on my kitchen island now for a few days and for whatever reason this evening when I was trying to come up with a veggie for dinner, it never occurred to me to eat this thing. Maybe because I am very proud of it and don't want to slice it up and serve on a platter. But, it will be eaten.



I also harvested my spinach. We had eaten a few leaves here and there but it was time to dive in. It really should have been harvested a few weeks ago. As much as I love a spinach salad, it wasn't on the menu so I plucked off the leaves, adored them in a bowl for a few minutes, and then steamed and froze them. I still have a few more spinach plants that I started late so there may be more to come. I just have to try to remember to do a better job at remembering to water it.



That was Saturday.

Sunday was family day. My brother Willie was in town for a wedding over the weekend and I was able to squeeze in breakfast with him and my immediate family. My sister and I left our spouses and children at home and met up with my parents, brother, and brother's better half. It was a short visit as they needed to be driving back to South Carolina but it was still nice. In an attempt to embarrass my brother as much as possible, my mom thought we should take some pictures outside of Eat 'n Park. This was the only one taken on my camera (by my dad) and my eyes were closed.



Then it was back home for me. Greg and I packed the kids into the car and headed north to his parents' house. His sister Bethany has had a busy couple of months. She graduated college, got engaged, spent three weeks in Africa helping at a mission hospital, and returned for long enough so she can pack up and move to a new town where she just got a new job that starts next week. Go Bethany! The inlaws threw a little cookout in her honor. I dressed the kids in honor of her African adventure, mostly because they don't own clothes that say, "Way to graduate/you found a great man/way to serve/don't blow up the lab at your new job."



Bethany and her friend gave us a little fashion show on how people dressed in Zambia. That is supposed to be a baby on Bethany's back. Most babies in Zambia aren't purple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home