gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Monday, July 13, 2009

Idlewild

We took a trip to Idlewild yesterday. The plan was to go on Saturday with our GPAFG (our local group for families who have adopted from Guatemala). However, the weather was looking to spoil our fun on Saturday. The trip was canceled and we decided to go yesterday instead. Along with Greg and I and the kids, Greg's parents and my mom came along too. My dad stayed behind to take care of the pup. I'll have to get some pictures from my mom. I didn't take too many because I was just too busy having fun.

Greg dropped my mom, the kids, and me off at the park and went to pick up his parents. They were flying their plane into the small airport near the park. While Greg was off collecting his parents, the rest of us headed into Storybook Forest.




We made it about 3/4 of the way through Storybook Forest when Greg and his parents arrived. We met up with them and Will had to pee (a common theme throughout the day) so we ran for the nearest bathroom. We made a quick stop in Jumpin' Jungle (which was my favorite part of the park the last time I was there... 20+ years ago).




We picked up the train ride and went over to Raccoon Lagoon, the kiddie land. We rode the trolley through Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. Both kids really liked that, although Will kept mistaking King Friday for Santa Claus. I was ready to get the kids on some real rides by then. We picked an airplane ride. They were excited until they realized that they would be riding together without an adult. They both rode the ride stone faced. We probably should have headed back to that part of the park later in the day after they were more comfortable with some rides but that just never happened. All we could think about by that point was our rumbling tummies anyway.

After eating, we hit up some of the bigger rides. The whole park is geared towards young kids so the big rides aren't really that big, just stuff that adults can ride with the kids. Marcus absolutely loved the carousel. We did several other rides that mostly involved going around in circles. Greg and I were both eating Dramamine like candy throughout the day because circles don't really agree with us anymore. I fared a little better than Greg did by the end of the day.






I had this bright idea that we should take the kids on the roller coaster. It is just a little roller coaster and they both just made the height requirements for riding with an adult. Greg's parents even rode it with us. It would not surprise me if our kids never ride another roller coaster again in their lives. Marcus wouldn't let me put my arm around him or hold on to him during any of the rides because he wanted to "do it self". He ended up kinda slouched down in the seat by the end and when I looked over at him mid-ride, he was on the verge of tears. I did my best to try to hold on to him from that point on but the ride was pretty bumpy and his whole body was stiff. When the ride was over he cried. Will was riding with Greg. He had no tears after the ride but when we stopped to check out the photo that they take during the ride, it was evident that Will had never been so terrified in his entire life. Talk about a priceless photo!


It was well past nap time at this point, which didn't help Marcus's attitude about the roller coaster either. He was determined to get back in the saddle again, literally, and ride something he would have fun on. While Greg took Will to the potty, Marcus and I got on the carousel again. He was back to smiling in no time. Then back to being really tired and cranky a minute later.

We took a walk over to the Soak Zone. We would have liked to have played around in the water park a bit but both kids were nearing their breaking point. It probably would have ended up being more punishment than fun. On our walk back from checking out the water park, both kids fell asleep. Greg left to take his parents back to the airport. My mom and I sat in the shade with frozen drinks and watched people while the kids rested.


We did a couple more rides after the kids woke up. They didn't get much of a nap though and were pretty much pushing their limits. Marcus really wanted to ride the log ride, which I am sure would have completely terrified him when we rode that log over a big hill, but we decided to skip it and head out. After all, we had arrived at the park at 10:30 in the morning and we didn't leave until almost 8:00. I figured we would have left hours prior to that but we were all having so much fun!

I'm already looking forward to going again next year!

5 Comments:
At 8:30 AM, Blogger DrBabyMamaDrama said...

That coaster pic is HILARIOUS! Glad you guys had a good time.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger jen said...

That roller coaster shot is priceless! Thank you - I soooo needed that laugh this morning!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

OMG, that picture of Will on the coaster is priceless. I about spit out my coffee!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Jill said...

I love that coaster pic...I have one of Alli when she was little on the Log Jammer and Kennywood... we still pull that out and laugh about it! MEMORIES!!!!!! Sorry we didn't make it... that weather! ugh. Next event? I hope so!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger April said...

The picture of Will and the coaster is hilarious! He does not look like a fan of coasters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home