gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Happy (Belated) Fourth of July!



We had a really nice holiday weekend. In the morning of the fourth, Saturday, everyone pitched in to help wash my car. Except me, because I had just fixed my hair. I designated myself the event photographer.




And yes, I mean everyone helped, including Maya.


After the car was washed, it needed dried of course. The car wasn't the only thing that needed dried off.



The kids rested up in the afternoon and then we were off to the annual block party in the neighborhood where I grew up. Greg and I were under the impression it was a costume party and dressed accordingly. I said I needed to glue some stars on my shirt. Greg asked me if I was drunk.


A good time was had by all. There was swinging,

some solitary play time,

jumping,

and at one point someone must have said something to really funny to my brother-in-law and dad.

We all did lots of eating too of course. Most importantly, it was a great day to be with the ones that we love and to celebrate that we can all be together in this wonderful country.


One of my favorite moments during the picnic was when Greg and I were sitting at the top of a large hill watching the kids play at the bottom. They were far enough away so that we couldn't hear them well but could see them fine. A little boy stole Marcus's ball right out of his hands. Marcus is quick to put Will in his place, but when it comes to other kids, he can be really shy. Marcus just stood there brokenhearted and staring at the ball thief. Will stepped in. He went up to the other boy. We couldn't hear what he was saying but he was certainly telling that kid off. He was pointing and shaking his finger at the kid and the ball and Will was looking pretty mad. Marcus just stood back and watched. When Will had put the other kid in his place, Will grabbed the ball from him and handed it back to Marcus. It was a great moment to see my kids defending each other, although I was a bit confused which of my son's was the older brother.

This was the first year that the kids got to see fireworks. We met up with my sister and her family at my old high school, one of the higher points in town. From there we could see the fireworks that were let off in the park as well as several other smaller displays. It was a nice introduction to fireworks for the kids since they were far enough away that they weren't too loud.


Sunday we spent some time with Greg's parents. We had a nice cookout and got to spend lots of time just hanging out and socializing on their deck. Marcus and Will were moving in full speed trying to keep themselves awake after staying up late Saturday night for fireworks and skipping nap on Sunday. Less than five minutes after we left Greg's parents' house, both kids were zonked out in the back seat.

Marcus and Will are currently big Yo Gabba Gabba fans. Can you tell?

2 Comments:
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I love the pic of you and Greg. Now I'm wondering if I can get my kids to wash my truck...you have such great ideas. Yo Gabba Gabba is terribly popular here, too. We have the same little figures. Of course both kids know alllllll their names.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Life with Pog & FLeC said...

Great family photo. Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home