gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Garden Update

I took some pictures of my garden about a week ago and keep meaning to post about it but we have been busy doing other stuff. The garden has changed a lot even since I photographed it.


We have lots of wild raspberries growing all around our yard. They are super sweet and yummy. We have all been picking at them, including Maya. I wasn't feeling so well last night. Greg took Maya for a walk around our yard and came back with a bowl full of these delicious berries in hopes they would make me feel better. I planted a blueberry shrub in our garden and it has just been hanging out and not bothering to produce blueberries. These wild raspberries are helping me forget about the blueberry bush.


My zucchini is growing like crazy. I started it from seed and now it won't stop growing. I thought a good bit of it wouldn't survive the transfer into the big garden but it is all growing.

I have tons and tons of flowers, even more since I took these pictures. I took this picture near dusk but in the morning the flowers are all open and quite pretty. Unfortunately, I have reason to believe that a little bunny has found a way to get under our garden fence and has been biting the flowers off. I think I blocked his path though this evening so hopefully our garden is bunny free at last.

Next to the zucchini I have carrots. I didn't take a picture because the tops of carrots aren't all that interesting and I also wasn't sure they were really carrots. I kept meaning to do a google search to find out what the tops of carrots were supposed to look like but never did. So, I was just weeding that area of the garden and hoping I was leaving behind the carrots and not some variety of weed. Earlier this week I dug down a bit and indeed, I choose wisely and we are going to have some yummy carrots.


I was hoping to have more sweet onions than this, but all I ended up with was probably about a dozen. I have no clue how big they are or when I am supposed to harvest them but they look good so far from the top.


I started these sweet peppers from seed as well. I don't think I am going to end up with any peppers though. I probably have 15 of these little plants but they really don't seem to be growing. They are all about 6 inches high.


I've gotten a few more flowers on my strawberry plant so it is looking like we will have 4-5 more strawberries here soon. Not much of a feast but still yummy.


And then we have my tomatoes which are growing like crazy. I have big ones

and little ones.

Still none have have turned red and are ready for picking yet. I have five tomato plants in our garden area so we should have lots of tomatoes.


I also have five beefsteak tomato plants on my deck in pots. I started these from seed and wasn't expecting much from them. Unfortunately, there are two tomato plants in one pot and three in another. They will probably end up crowding each other out. Since I took these photos, this one tomato plant that is in the front of this photo has gotten some flowers so it is looking like my thumb just may be a little more green than I realized.


Also on our deck is some spinach. We have already eaten some of this. Some little bugs have also eaten some of it too and many of the leaves have little holes in them. I am trying to make my garden organic so I haven't used any insecticide to fend off snackers. I am sure there are some organic ways to help keep bugs away but I just haven't bothered researching them. Spinach was also started from seeds.


Finally on the deck we also have about a dozen jalapeno pepper plants. These little guys aren't doing much either. I started them from seed along with the sweet peppers and they too have pretty much stayed the same size. I don't think I will get any peppers from these guys either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home