gkline.com

the homepage of gregory and ann kline

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Happiness Is

I am really far behind on blogging for one reason. I have been doing what makes me happy. What would that be? Traveling? Manicures? Relaxing on the couch? Although those things do make me somewhat happy (not so much the manicures really, only ever had one in my life), the thing that makes me happiest is being busy. I've been finding cool activities for the kids to do, participating in Halloween festivities, and hanging out with friends. Pretty much all of it has been blog-worthy and will show up in posts eventually, but right now is the time to focus on this happiness that I have been feeling.

It all comes down to physics really. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion and objects at rest tend to stay at rest. I like to rest. I love reading or grabbing the remote and settling in with plans for my body to do nothing and my mind to do little. The longer I sit, the longer I want to sit. I pull out my to do list and I think, "I'll put that one off until later since right now I am sitting and I would have to get up to accomplish that. It can wait." I get tired. And not the tired you get from being physically exhausted or missing out on sleep because you were off doing fun things, the tired you get from being lazy.

Lately it has been all about the motion. I get up and get moving and then I just don't want to stop. Things get crossed off my to do list with lightening speed because I just don't have the time to sit and ponder whether or not I really feel like doing them or not. I don't have time, so I just do them to get on to the next thing that needs to be done. When time slows down long enough to have some free time with my kids, I eat it up and cherish it and really live it.

It all comes down to being in the moment.

When I am busy and life around me is moving at 100 mph, I don't have the ability to let my mind wonder off into the future or ponder the past. I just live. I focus on what is happening right then. I just do. I play with my kids and I am really there. I have spent so much time being with my kids and not really being there at all. Lately, I have really been there - listening, playing, creating, and loving - instead of off in my mind wondering what we are going to have for dinner or who I need to email or what time I should put the next load of laundry in. I feel better physically when I am in motion. I love what my body can do. I don't eat out of boredom because there is no boredom and I feel healthy.

Happiness leads to more happiness. My kids see me happy and they are happy too. I laugh and run and play with them and suddenly, the temper tantrums and picking on each other and random acts of bizarre mood swings melt away. We laugh together. We play together. We smile and hug a lot more. At the end of the day I see the laundry building up and the dishes in the sink and two little boys giggling as I tuck them into bed, and I feel that on this day I have really accomplished something.

This week I am happy. I am inspired. I am busy. I am social. I am physically exhausted. I have no plans on stopping because it all makes me happy.

And I have a lot of laundry to do.

1 Comments:
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

that made me smile
:o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home